Who carries a Glock loaded with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a manual thumb safety you can have installed which could put your mind at ease.

Am going to be installing one on my Glock 22 sometime this winter, so I can write something up afterward.

thanks... didn't know one existed .. have always been uncomfortable with carrying a glock w/round in chamber without a backup safety. For me unless Glock is your primary carry weapon and you've used Glock to point of muscle memory implant.

constantly switching weapons, but my CCW is always 340PD revolver with a completely different motion. would not be comfortable with carrying a Glock with round in chamber without a backup safety.

Have no problems carrying a 1911 cocked and loaded or Walther PPK with round in chamber, or S&W revolver loaded with no safety. but S&W takes about 9lb with a long trigger stroke. very hard to accidentally discharge. vs Glock's 5lb trigger pull and most importantly relative short trigger motion makes possibility of an accidental discharge higher.

since I'm with the school a weapon is worthless unless you carry a round in chamber and I'm uncomfortable with carrying a Glock with a round in chamber.... I don't carry a Glock!

just my opinion.. yours may veri...

look at what google pulls up for: accidental glock discharge http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...9d5c828409ff24&bpcl=35277026&biw=1023&bih=679

when one gets pages of hits... something is up

"Two articles by Massad Ayoob stated that this pistol should not be CCW carried without the MSK installed, since it allowed you to essentially carry your Glock in Condition One in complete safety." http://www.usacarry.com/glock-manual-safety-kit-by-cominolli-custom/

Last edited:

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how everyone else carries their Glock; only how you do. Never carry a gun with which you're not familiar/comfortable/trained enough with to always carry in chambered condition - will be of little use to you when you most need it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well said. I have even heard that some people who have other handguns besides Glocks, that do have the traditional manual safety, actually have been known to also carry those properly holstered firearms with one in the chamber and the safety if the "fire" position.

That is standard USAF Condition 1 when carrying the M9. Mag inserted, round chambered and safety off....

No valid reason to carry a holstered defensive handgun without a round chambered. Training and mindset can cure that ill.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this reminds me of a very short employment at a Security Guard Company about 30 years ago. I was going through orientation and they were going over the firearms policy. We were carrying revolvers back then. The policy was to carry only 5 rounds in the cylinder. The cylinder had to be oriented so that when the trigger was pulled the first strike was on an empty chamber.

I asked "why?" They said that in the event someone took our gun away from us and tried to shoot us with it, it would hit an empty chamber and give us time to fight back and regain our pistols while they were trying to figure out why it didn't shoot.

I told them that I wouldn't carry a pistol like that and got up and walked out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks... didn't know one existed .. have always been uncomfortable with carrying a glock w/round in chamber without a backup safety. For me unless Glock is your primary carry weapon and you've used Glock to point of muscle memory implant.

constantly switching weapons, but my CCW is always 340PD revolver with a completely different motion. would not be comfortable with carrying a Glock with round in chamber without a backup safety.

Have no problems carrying a 1911 cocked and loaded or Walther PPK with round in chamber, or S&W revolver loaded with no safety. but S&W takes about 9lb with a long trigger stroke. very hard to accidentally discharge. vs Glock's 5lb trigger pull and most importantly relative short trigger motion makes possibility of an accidental discharge higher.

since I'm with the school a weapon is worthless unless you carry a round in chamber and I'm uncomfortable with carrying a Glock with a round in chamber.... I don't carry a Glock!

just my opinion.. yours may veri...

look at what google pulls up for: accidental glock discharge http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...9d5c828409ff24&bpcl=35277026&biw=1023&bih=679

when one gets pages of hits... something is up

"Two articles by Massad Ayoob stated that this pistol should not be CCW carried without the MSK installed, since it allowed you to essentially carry your Glock in Condition One in complete safety." http://www.usacarry.com/glock-manual-safety-kit-by-cominolli-custom/

I know Mas and get along well with him, but he's completely wrong in this case. There are way too many Glocks carried daily in perfect safety on a daily basis for this to be true. Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge? Absolutely! That's what happens when more Glocks are carried on a daily basis than any other brand! Almost every instance is a training issue, not a gun issue. As someone who's supervised the firing of literally hundreds of thousands of rounds in a dynamic environment, I can tell you this is a non-issue.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a G21, 23 & 19. I carry one of them chamber loaded on a regular basis. I worked at a LEO firing range for several years, and never saw any 'accidents' involving a Glock. Carrying Glocks are not one bit different than carrying a revolver. You don't want it to go off, keep your finger off the trigger. If you don't like the 5 pound trigger pull, then get yourself a New York / California trigger model with its much heavier trigger pull. You can get a Glock with the same or heavier trigger pull as your favorite revolver.. if that is what makes you comfortable.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can buy a safe t block if it makes you feel better,they are cheap . if you dont carry chamber loaded you shouldn't carry at all

Latest posts

Top Bottom