Who carries a Glock loaded with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok ... this thread has shamed me into spending a bit of quality time with Glock 17 gen 3. it's quite apparent my reluctance to carry a Glock with a round is purely due to me not taking the time out to thoroughly familiarize myself.

trigger pull on Gock 17 takes 1lb 12oz to wall for first stage and travels 7mm. then second stage takes 5lb 8oz before round fires while traveling another 4.5mm.

have come to conclusion due to need of constantly protecting Glock's trigger from accidental snags. a proper holster is mandatory.

a Surefire X200 weapons light is always mounted on G17 ... so what's the best holster to get?
probably OWB? unless someone recommends otherwise ...

yes there is a round in chamber ... No I'm not going to carry it until I get a proper holster.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC00417.jpg

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry with one in the chamber. Get a good holster that covers the trigger. People have been carrying revolvers for about 175 years and they don't have a mechanical safety. ALL of the NDs I have heard about with Glocks have been operator error and/or using bad holsters.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing....

So your comfortable with a revolver, but not a Glock...
What's the difference?

Kinda my thoughts... Trigger doesn't get pulled, Gun doesn't go BANG...

not quite nothing... S&W revolver trigger has a completely different motion vs Glock. both are similar with no trigger safety. anything that snags Glock's trigger will also release safety lever, effectively no trigger safety.

measurement taken from CCW 340PD ... takes 9lb to move trigger, then travels 18.3 mm before hammer releases. which occurs at very last of trigger's movement. total travel of 18.3mm

my Glock 17 takes 1lb 12oz to move trigger 7mm, then takes 5lb 8oz to move trigger another 4.5mm to release. total travel of 11.5mm.

IMHO it's much harder to accidentally snag S&W revolver trigger vs accidentally snagging a Glock's trigger. your opinion may veri..

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your comfortable with a revolver, but not a Glock...
What's the difference?

I'd like to know that. After carrying a revolver for 30 years the transition to the Glock was simple. The same can't be said about a 1911. Those things are dangerous. I'd sell it if someone gave me one. I know 2 Bethany cops back in the 70's that shot themselves in the butts with cocked and locked 1911's. You should not have to have a safety to flick on or off when it's time for a gun fight.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get yourself a NY1 trigger spring and all your worries will be over. Cheap & easy to have installed. It will give you a 11 pound trigger pull. No chance of the gun going off by accident then. You can probably get other spring tensions from 5-11 pounds. Just got to check around.

http://eu.glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm
There is still a chance the gun will "go off". The is also however a MUCH lower chance of hitting what you aim at. Guns aren't the problem with ND's. The loose screw behind the trigger is. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on target. Viola. The biggest reason handguns are hard to shoot accurately is because the trigger pull is heavier than the weapon. Why increase the trigger press to three times the weight of the weapon? Ever wonder why NYPD has a hard time hitting their target? The moronic trigger weight. ND's are a software problem, NOT a hardware problem.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is still a chance the gun will "go off". The is also however a MUCH lower chance of hitting what you aim at. Guns aren't the problem with ND's. The loose screw behind the trigger is. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on target. Viola. The biggest reason handguns are hard to shoot accurately is because the trigger pull is heavier than the weapon. Why increase the trigger press to three times the weight of the weapon? Ever wonder why NYPD has a hard time hitting their target? The moronic trigger weight. ND's are a software problem, NOT a hardware problem.

You make perfect sense, however, I do enjoy the 8lb trigger and am quite accurate with it. The biggest difference in the two triggers I have seen is there is now a definite breaking point in the travel. Before you couldnt feel when the gun was about to go off. Now I know, the trigger stops at a certain point, then boom. Having not shot many revolvers because Dad just didnt have any when I was growing up, does a revolver trigger feel the same way or is it just heavier?

Latest posts

Top Bottom