Who carries a Glock loaded with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok ... this thread has shamed me into spending a bit of quality time with Glock 17 gen 3. it's quite apparent my reluctance to carry a Glock with a round is purely due to me not taking the time out to thoroughly familiarize myself.

trigger pull on Gock 17 takes 1lb 12oz to wall for first stage and travels 7mm. then second stage takes 5lb 8oz before round fires while traveling another 4.5mm.

have come to conclusion due to need of constantly protecting Glock's trigger from accidental snags. a proper holster is mandatory.

a Surefire X200 weapons light is always mounted on G17 ... so what's the best holster to get?
probably OWB? unless someone recommends otherwise ...

yes there is a round in chamber ... No I'm not going to carry it until I get a proper holster.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC00417.jpg

A proper holster should be mandatory regardless of gun type! :)

I wish I could recommend the company that made my G-19/X300 holster. It's an IWB that's the 2nd most comfortable I've ever tried behind the Milt Sparks EX. Problem is, the proprietor is awful about lead times and delivery. :(

I'd recommend Raven Concealment. Lead times for them are long as well, but quality is 1st rate and they're reliable on delivery.

here's what mine looks like. The Raven is similar.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_1326.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_1324.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to know that. After carrying a revolver for 30 years the transition to the Glock was simple. The same can't be said about a 1911. Those things are dangerous. I'd sell it if someone gave me one. I know 2 Bethany cops back in the 70's that shot themselves in the butts with cocked and locked 1911's. You should not have to have a safety to flick on or off when it's time for a gun fight.

I agree with the safety issue for most people. I don't agree on the 1911 and the difference between now and the 70's regarding how to use one is the diffenence between a 5 gallon bucket and a thimble. IF, you put the training time in on the platform, it's still one of the best you can use. My duty gun is a G-21SF with an Accurate Iron makeover and Surefire X300 with DG switch. My most often carried CCW gun is a 5" S&W 1911PD with Crimson Trace grips. I shoot 100% with either one during semi-annual quals, but the speed and grouping of the 100% with the 1911 is noticeably better.

As the OP has mentioned, switching gun and action types can lead to issues and concerns. I wouldn't recommend it for most folks. It' is best to stick with one type. I happen to shoot competition at a pretty high level with DA revolvers, Glocks and 1911's, so it isn't nearly the issue for me that it would be for most.

You make perfect sense, however, I do enjoy the 8lb trigger and am quite accurate with it. The biggest difference in the two triggers I have seen is there is now a definite breaking point in the travel. Before you couldnt feel when the gun was about to go off. Now I know, the trigger stops at a certain point, then boom. Having not shot many revolvers because Dad just didnt have any when I was growing up, does a revolver trigger feel the same way or is it just heavier?

The Glock is a two stage trigger type, with a light 1st stage, then a definite wall and a heavier 2nd stage with not much travel. A DA combat revolver has a long single stage trigger that's pretty much the same pull weight all the way through. The closest auto actions to a DA revolver are the Beretta 92D and Kahr Arms guns. The Glock trigger is quite a bit faster, but some people shoot the rolling DA action of the revolver more consistently. I emphasize some people though. Overall, law enforcement qualification scores increased significantly when switching from revolvers to autos of all types.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, 1911s are perfectly safe. I've never had the safety accidentally come off and I've never had the hammer fall unless I pulled the trigger. If you're uncomfortable with a certain platform, it's a training issue not a weapon issue, and you should probably get some training with that platform before you carry it.

As for the Glock (or any other modern, defensive handgun) they should be carried with a round in the chamber. You don't have time to rack the slide if you need your firearm. Furthermore, your off hand might be out of commission either from an injury or simply from being occupied with another task (try some force on force training and you'll see what I mean).

As for holsters, I'm using a Safariland for my G17 or G22 with weapon light.
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378

ALS retention device makes it secure and fast to draw from, and the holster isn't too expensive. It also comes with a belt loop so you can use that rather than the paddle. It's pretty difficult to conceal though. I've heard good things about Raven, but haven't had a chance to use one of their holsters.

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a sig p228, and have not been carrying chamber loaded. Like most have said it has nothing to do with the firearm. I just feel like I need more practice with the firearm first. I have my ccw, but I'd like to get into an defensive handgun course to feel more confident with my firearm. The more I get out to the range the better I feel about it, but I'd still like to get into a defensive handgun course.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a sig p228, and have not been carrying chamber loaded. Like most have said it has nothing to do with the firearm. I just feel like I need more practice with the firearm first. I have my ccw, but I'd like to get into an defensive handgun course to feel more confident with my firearm. The more I get out to the range the better I feel about it, but I'd still like to get into a defensive handgun course.

As previously stated, I think it is vital you carry chamber loaded. I carried a 228 for quite awhile and they are very safe, although I respect your decision to take a good class. Far too many people buy a gun and think they are ready to defend themselves. Good training is IMO as important if not more so than buying the gun!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I can appreciate your decision, but think about it: What takes more time, attention, and manual dexterity to accomplish?

A: Safely drawing, aiming and firing a loaded handgun or
B: Safely drawing, loading, aiming, and firing an non-chamber loaded handgun?

If you don't trust yourself to accomplish A in an efficient and safe manner, how on earth are you going to accomplish B in a timely, efficient, and safe manner when fractions of seconds count?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I could recommend the company that made my G-19/X300 holster. It's an IWB that's the 2nd most comfortable I've ever tried behind the Milt Sparks EX. Problem is, the proprietor is awful about lead times and delivery. :(

here's what mine looks like. The Raven is similar.

OK ... spill the beans ... what brand holster is that? perhaps I can find a used one?

been trying find one that for sure works with a surefire light. had planned on buying kydex to make my own. that design looks minimalist and very functional.

Latest posts

Top Bottom