Who Else Heats with a Wood Stove?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who Else Heats with a wood Stove?

since heating with wood is one of the few places where we actually have control over a major utility bill. then on top of wood being a renewable/green resource. unless someone has a pretty darn good reason like not being able to handle wood duties. economically and just as important being self sufficient as possible .. heating with wood just makes sense!!!!

I've been heating with wood as a primary heating source for 8+ seasons. so if anyone have questions, will be glad to help.

the first 6 seasons I heated with a JUCA wood stove insert that was custom made to order specifically for my huge fireplace. most times my natural gas heater pilot light would not get lit for the season. but that means house would have highs and lows temp or leave your main heater on (set low) so it can take care of dips in temp.

the JUCA did an excellent job of heating my 2500sf single level ranch home, but it consumed way too much wood. depending on how cold winter average was 4.5 to 5+ cords of hard woods like Oak. that's a serious amount of work putting up 5+ cords of wood each season!

did my research and determined Buck 91 catalyst stove was the way to go. there are a small number of highly rated wood stoves if you visit the wood stove forums. but Buck stoves has a local store in Tulsa who carries an excellent stock of parts to support your stove. which is no small thing when your wood stove is the primary source of heat. my wood usage has dropped by about half with Buck 91 cat stove.

if you've got a larger space to heat .. it's generally acknowledged that cat stoves are more efficient if you need a larger wood stove. for smaller heating requirements .. secondary burn stoves are an excellent option. assuming both are recognized quality brands of wood stoves, both burn super efficient with almost zero smoke emitted after stove reaches operating temps.

all wood stoves will generate smoke when ramping up to operating temps .. a clean burning wood stove will emit little to no smoke after reaching operating temps. the tale of the chimney tells the true story if your wood stove is burning clean or not. be kind to your neighbors/environment by only using a clean burning wood stove.

s25.postimg.org_518bs14wf_DSC05244.jpg

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm actually looking at wood cook stoves. some of them are multiple purpose(heat your house, cook your food, heat you water). they are a lot more expensive than a basic wood stove, but worth the money in my opinion. Looking at the kitchen queen and esse ironheart.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'm actually looking at wood cook stoves. some of them are multiple purpose(heat your house, cook your food, heat you water). they are a lot more expensive than a basic wood stove, but worth the money in my opinion. Looking at the kitchen queen and esse ironheart.

good timing .. was just at Buck Stoves in Tulsa a few days ago picking up a high temp gasket that goes between catalyst holder. they have got a beautiful wood cook stove in stock that will also heat your home. the owners wants to clear out that wood cook stove and are willing to give a huge discount.

was telling the owners of Tulsa Buck Stove store about OSA and how preppers would be a natural fit for wood stoves. ... Buck Stove 918-627-2222

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used a St. Croix wood pellet stove for about 10 years. Its thermostat controled and auto ignition. Pellets are cheap to buy and it heats my 1800' home nicely for about $500 from Oct. to March. (thats 2 tons of pellets or 100 40# bags) Price of pellets has stayed the same for 10 years. No cutting/splitting/stacking/hauling wood.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good timing .. was just at Buck Stoves in Tulsa a few days ago picking up a high temp gasket that goes between catalyst holder. they have got a beautiful wood cook stove in stock that will also heat your home. the new owners wants to clear out that wood cook stove and are willing to give a huge discount.

was telling the new owners of Tulsa Buck Stove store about OSA and how preppers would be a natural fit for wood stoves.
they are not real web savvy yet ... Buck Stove 918-627-2222

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used a St. Croix wood pellet stove for about 10 years. Its thermostat controled and auto ignition. Pellets are cheap to buy and it heats my 1800' home nicely for about $500 from Oct. to March. (thats 2 tons of pellets or 100 40# bags) Price of pellets has stayed the same for 10 years. No cutting/splitting/stacking/hauling wood.

interesting that local pellet prices didn't change last season .. was seeing stories of huge jumps in pellet and propane prices last season. sellers were limiting number of bags sold to each buyer. propane prices were insane last season!

yes .. cutting/splitting/putting up wood can be a PITA, but sometimes that's the only exercise I get in. helps if you have a big honking 35 ton splitter and loads of Stihl chainsaws. all things considered much prefer plain ole wood for heating ..as that allows anyone to get control of their heating costs.

most time wood is free but the labor to put it up is not. anyone can go the green waste dump in Tulsa and get all the wood they want for free. this winter there was a hoard of people splitting wood to sell or burn at the green waste dump. there's many other sources for free wood vs the green dump.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one in our trailer. We have a vent duct running from the intake through the floor so that it draws in cold, dense air instead of scavenging heated air. Once it's going, a 4x16 log of oak, blackjack, or bois d'arc will last 3-4 hours and keep the house above 70F even when it's below 0F outside. If you place a log on and close the intake before going to bed, it's still smoldering hot enough 6 hours later to throw another log on.

We go through around a cord per year heating 950 sq ft. If it's below 40F outside, the stove is burning because the central electric can't keep up.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have one in our trailer. We have a vent duct running from the intake through the floor so that it draws in cold, dense air instead of scavenging heated air. Once it's going, a 4x16 log of oak, blackjack, or bois d'arc will last 3-4 hours and keep the house above 70F even when it's below 0F outside. If you place a log on and close the intake before going to bed, it's still smoldering hot enough 6 hours later to throw another log on.

We go through around a cord per year heating 950 sq ft. If it's below 40F outside, the stove is burning because the central electric can't keep up.

Hmmm, isnt there a market for selling bois d'arc for bow making and such?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
interesting that local pellet prices didn't change last season .. was seeing stories of huge jumps in pellet and propane prices last season. sellers were limiting number of bags sold to each buyer. propane prices were insane last season!
I buy from Lowes and never pay more than $5 per bag and they give me 10% off for buying a whole pallet at once (ton). I try to get my pellets stacked in the garage in Oct. to beat any shortage that may happen. Propane was up to $6 last year and I have a buddy who ran out in Jan. I told him 250 gal. of propane last me 2 years...He was pissed and installed a pellet stove last fall. lol. I would entertain a wood stove and get a split

Latest posts

Top Bottom