Who Else Heats with a Wood Stove?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a Lopi insert, had it about 35 years and it will keep the whole house warm if we run the ceiling fans to distribute the heat. It burns pretty clean, not much smoke once it gets going. Cloase the damper down pretty low and it will burn all night and still have coals the next morning to start the next load. A bonus is that you can cook on it if needed. Getting to stove up (pun intended) to cut and split wood nowdays, we relegate it to backup duty now. Nothing beats the radiant heat from a good wood stove.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a wood stove out in the shop, two for our two wall tents, and a fireplace in the living room. Eventually I would like a stove stuffed in there.

Oh, and we have a really tiny Franklin that is currently just sitting in the corner of the dining room. It vents from the rear, and not the top. It may end up in the bedroom one of these days.

I don't buy wood. Ever. I have a truck, and a few chainsaws.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wood stove eats up some wood but heats well.
Maybe I need to look and see how the cat stoves are made and modify mine.
but wood is almost free so no biggie.
Look for companies that ship and receive in pallets and companies that make pallets and trusses , you will find a good source for good dry wood there.
Plenty of free wood for just picking it up if you keep your eyes open.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for companies that ship and receive in pallets and companies that make pallets and trusses , you will find a good source for good dry wood there.
Plenty of free wood for just picking it up if you keep your eyes open.

Just make sure you clean often. Pallets are usually made of soft woods, burn cool, and leave a lot of creosote buildup (especially if they've had materials leak on them).

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once used pallet wood for woodworking projects until my son the Chemist told me that pallets could contain come very dangerous chemicals depending on their use history. I also used to burn them in the stove, but after his warnings, I'll stick with natural wood cut and split.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pallets I was getting were oak. dang hard stuff and I made some dandy knife handles from them.

An overlooked wood is cotton wood. it is a bear to split but burns hot and pretty clean and a nice smell from the couple I have burned.
Of course seasoned for over a year. As I do not like green wood at all.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use wood for heat most of the time to cut down on our electric bill. I live way out in the country and when power went out a few years back during the ice storm there was no electricity for about 10 days. My question is does a pellet stove require electricity to use? Someone told me they did in the past and that's why we have stuck with a wood stove, that and wood is easy to come by.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use wood for heat most of the time to cut down on our electric bill. I live way out in the country and when power went out a few years back during the ice storm there was no electricity for about 10 days. My question is does a pellet stove require electricity to use? Someone told me they did in the past and that's why we have stuck with a wood stove, that and wood is easy to come by.
Yes they do, about 100 watts of power is needed to operate the feed auger, internal combustion fan and the blower. This wasnt an issue for me because I dont do "no power". I will always have power and I made provisions for that. I would go bat **** crazy if I had to sit in the dark and couldnt cook on the stove or keep my freezers frozen at 5* for several days. Actually its the family that would drive me crazy so I keep the power on at all cost.
So when the ice knocks public power out, I go turn on my power, lol.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got generators to keep us going in the event of a short power outage, say up to a couple of weeks before my fuel runs out, but I'm looking at adding a 200 watt solar aray with some deep cycle batteries for the small stuff. I made a propane conversion for one of my generators using a commercial demand regulator and it works pretty well. I could couple it to my 250 gallon propane tank and last quite a while on that. I'm still looking at pellet stove inserts with the idea that I could burn field corn if needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom