whos the mosin nagant expert here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheMcs

Izhevsk is a triangle with an arrow in it. The wreath with the hammer is just the Russian crest of the period time not the manufacturer

^This.

There are a ton of cool marking/cartouche possibilities on the Mosins. If you find a small square with SA inside on the side of the receiver, don't mess up the rifle, it's a Finn capture and is getting to be worth some money.

I don't recommend going Bubba on the Mosins, but if you do, do it to a round not a hex. You can find carbines in the M44 model for about $250.

Dawned on me the other day I'm completely against modifying Mosins due to their inherent history, but would have no problem hacking a cherry '49 Merc into a lead sled. So I figure, "Eh, to each his own".

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks like it has the round reciever and star with the arrow through it... and a small star stamped in the wood towords the front of the stock... probaby nothing special but good enough to hang on the wall after being cleaned and shot a few times, then cleaned again and again.. lol

Last edited:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
first get a quart of VM&P naptha, that is a water expelling solvent. Put it into a spray bottle.
next disassemble it from the stock, Do not try to remove the barrel ring springs!
take it to the car wash and wash all the cosmoline off with engine cleaner.
spray it down with VM&P
take it home and wipe it down and oil it.
Shoot it.

bhollie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone near Tulsa or Haskell who wants to clean this nasty thing for me...? ill pay you! ive never seen this goop before and i dont even want to touch it... im planning on buying 2 or 3 more and ill need those cleaned as well... dont have time to mess with them right now.. its not like cleaning my other guns and i dont want to break it or ruin the bore before i get to shoot it.......

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone near Tulsa or Haskell who wants to clean this nasty thing for me...? ill pay you! ive never seen this goop before and i dont even want to touch it... im planning on buying 2 or 3 more and ill need those cleaned as well... dont have time to mess with them right now.. its not like cleaning my other guns and i dont want to break it or ruin the bore before i get to shoot it.......

That Mosin is probably the toughest gun you will ever have, if that bore is like all the other Mosins around you can't hurt it either.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Take it to Honeybee, he'll run it through the carwash for you.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
you can't break it or hurt it. get some rubber gloves and go to town on it! do you have access to a parts washer? i plug the drain up in mine and let it soak an hour or so then wipe it down. if not,the garbage bag trick works pretty good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom