Why can't I just be satisfied.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a stupid problem. I just got my new AR assembled last night and I really love the value it presents. I got it for a good price unfinished and had most of the parts to finish it laying around. I am about $350 out of pocket for this rifle including shipping, transfer and the LPK. I bought and assembled it for the purpose to be my knock around truck gun. Here is my dilemma, in the box I get a sheet showing other products from DPMS and I see a model that I fall in lust with. It’s the RFA3-TAC2, Its essentially a Dissipator with magpul furniture and a neato M111 handguard. I don’t like that it is a full rifle length gas system (I prefer mid length like the kit I just assembled). So here is where my need for instant gratification and never being satisfied with what I have millennial traits come into play. The TAC2 can be had for between 600-700$ from buds or gunbroker. Do I sell what I just built for a purpose on Armslist with some mags and ammo to get the $700 mark and switch up to the TAC2, OR do I nut up and be happy with what I have knowing that I bought it to fit a need not a want? I will probably never use the tac2 for anything other than range plinking, and it won't ride shotgun in the jeep like what I just got. I guess the other option would be to have a low pro gas block installed on the one I just got, then have a dummy front sight block put on so as to turn it into the dissipator style, but then I am defeating the purpose of having a no frills low cost truck gun by pumping money into it just for aesthetics. That's just more money that can be invested towards more ammo and range time.

What I just bought.

20200308_211639.jpg

What I think I want.

108321.jpg

I should be happy with what I've got provided it shoots well, I think I just needed to think it through, but what are your thoughts as well?

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Son, I've been dealing with this affliction for almost 30 years now. I'm never satisfied with what I have, and then when I swap it or sell it for the next big thing, I realize that what I had to begin with was just fine.

Ah, variety...tis the spice of life. Good luck with your journey. It's gonna be a long one.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a stupid problem. I just got my new AR assembled last night and I really love the value it presents. I got it for a good price unfinished and had most of the parts to finish it laying around. I am about $350 out of pocket for this rifle including shipping, transfer and the LPK. I bought and assembled it for the purpose to be my knock around truck gun. Here is my dilemma, in the box I get a sheet showing other products from DPMS and I see a model that I fall in lust with. It’s the RFA3-TAC2, Its essentially a Dissipator with magpul furniture and a neato M111 handguard. I don’t like that it is a full rifle length gas system (I prefer mid length like the kit I just assembled). So here is where my need for instant gratification and never being satisfied with what I have millennial traits come into play. The TAC2 can be had for between 600-700$ from buds or gunbroker. Do I sell what I just built for a purpose on Armslist with some mags and ammo to get the $700 mark and switch up to the TAC2, OR do I nut up and be happy with what I have knowing that I bought it to fit a need not a want? I will probably never use the tac2 for anything other than range plinking, and it won't ride shotgun in the jeep like what I just got. I guess the other option would be to have a low pro gas block installed on the one I just got, then have a dummy front sight block put on so as to turn it into the dissipator style, but then I am defeating the purpose of having a no frills low cost truck gun by pumping money into it just for aesthetics. That's just more money that can be invested towards more ammo and range time.

What I just bought.

View attachment 156037

What I think I want.

View attachment 156039
I should be happy with what I've got provided it shoots well, I think I just needed to think it through, but what are your thoughts as well?

Said every gun guy on the planet and that has zero to do with your generation!! It is a gun thing. :cool:

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep the one you have and build the one that you want. This allows you to buy the parts for your new rifle as the funds are available. The interim is great for researching the components that you'll use.

FYI - I have two builds running rifle length gas on 18" barrels without any problems.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard to many horror stories of them being undergassed causing timing and cycle issues. I have not experienced it myself, but the stories has left me with a stigma about them.

I'll have to check to make sure, but I believe the only rifle length gas system I have is on my Grendel. Most of my others are mid or carbine. Unless they're pistol uppers of course.

I haven't had any issues . . . outside of needing to secure a gas block or two after they get bumped or moved because I didn't tighten them down enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom