Why do people like Cabela's and Bass Pro so much? They seem overpriced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you. For gun purchases there are better local alternatives. For other outdoor stuff, they are hard to beat for both selection and price.
And I ll admit I know very little about outdoor activities and they seem well priced in that department as well as the selection. I just dont get the gun side of things.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun selection (new) is weak and over priced.

Ammo selection is great and some of it is cheap. If you want steel shot during waterfowl season, Cabela's is an oasis in the desert (OKC). Academy runs out quick and selection is never that great.

If you are looking for waterfowl decoys and equipment, there is really no other option in OKC other than to buy online.

Outdoor gear is reasonable but on the high end. You can get most of it cheaper on Amazon.

Cast iron and other cooking stuff is a little over priced.

If you watch for the sales, you can get pretty good deals at Cabela's though.

I like both for certain things. And Cabela's is 5 minutes from my house.

The Yoohoo! candy bars at the Cabela's checkout stand are delicious!

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just go to them to look at the fly fishing stuff. I saw a used G31 for almost $700 at the OKC Cabelas.

Yeah I saw a ruger 22/45 used for 550, they were selling the same gun at their new counter for 470. Exact same gun. I think you may have gotten 3 mags with the used one but still way over priced. I just dont get their pricing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I saw a ruger 22/45 used for 550, they were selling the same gun at their new counter for 470. Exact same gun. I think you may have gotten 3 mags with the used one but still way over priced. I just dont get their pricing.

I'm betting it's consignment. Owner sets their price and the stores tack on some profit.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For folks like me who live in the boondocks it's a pretty good outing to go there. I've never even looked at guns in either place; didn't realize they have used guns. I've ordered online from Cabela's for years, especially shoes/boots and clothes. I've also order reloading components and stuff from Cabela's and I like their jigheads with the 1/16 oz head and 1/0 hooks for fishing in Mountain Fork, Glover and Little River. Been to the new Cabela's twice and I bought jigheads, powder, primers, shotgun shells (12 gauge #5) and bullets

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got 1000 cci small pistol primers at cabelas for $27.99 on sale.

But ya their stuff is really expensive. I wanted a stream light but their $60 flashlights are $40 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To further american consumerism... they price product to appeal to those who have more money than patients... Man i soind like a liberal... I swear im not..

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found a deal or two on 250gr smks. I bought some 338 lapua brass for only $260 after i complained about the box beimg a littlw rough. Saved $100

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My nearest gun store is BDC gunroom in Shawnee. I was pricing powder there the other day and it was $9 more than at Cabela's. They didn't even have the primers I needed. I also noticed the bullet prices at Bass Pro are several dollars more expensive than Cabela's, generally with less selection. So, I go there to get most of my reloading supplies, and always swing by Tactical Village on the way home for a few others. I haven't been able to stomach any of the rifle/pistol prices though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom