Why do we trade guns???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As a couple of others have said, I sell or trade away firearms depending on my mood. Sometimes I feel like delving into M1 Garands, other times I hanker after a tactical shotgun. I was on a 1911 kick for a while, but sold them all - and now I'm in the mood for a round-butt 1911SC E-Series. Why hang onto a firearm that just sits and collects dust, if there's no sentimental attachment? Put the money to better use elsewhere, is how I see it.

I knew it all along, ur showing ur true colors. Ur a dust racist.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. Is. Me.

I was raised by used car dealers with gypsies in my background likely. Houses, cars, guitars/amps, guns, its all the same- buy em, play with em, trade or sell em, start over. For me it all started in the 2nd grade I think buying selling trading and playing with marbles and graduated to guitars and amps by junior high. Been at it ever since. It can be an addiction as bad as drugs or alcohol.

Im the same way with everything but guitars. I've had God knows how many trucks, 4 wheelers, boats, guns, bows etc. But the one thing I never let go of is guitars and amps. Typically cause I only get ones I really really want and its a long drawn out decision. I think I've only ever gotten rid of two guitars in my life. Both Jacksons.....
Just didn't care for them.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im the same way with everything but guitars. I've had God knows how many trucks, 4 wheelers, boats, guns, bows etc. But the one thing I never let go of is guitars and amps. Typically cause I only get ones I really really want and its a long drawn out decision. I think I've only ever gotten rid of two guitars in my life. Both Jacksons.....
Just didn't care for them.

(Yepp. My tag agent mentioned I might want to get a dealers license as many cars and trucks as I buy and sell. At least 7 this year already.

I buy guitars and gear like my wife buys shoes then I sell stuff when I get too much stuff, its a freaking sickness. I have guitars stored away in 3 different locations but keep my amps and gear at my shop in Des Moines where I build and sell rack rigs (Slipknot and Stone Sour members are former clients as well as a few other current metal stars like Pillar's guitarist Noah Henson and am just starting a build right now for Jim from Firstryke). We record there too so its just easier leaving all my main stuff there, I do keep a rig up here at home tho out in my home shop/studio to record demos on my laptop when Im home and bored. I started buying up electric guitars and gear in the early 80s when still in junior high after going to electric. My first electric was 2 beat to hell pawn shop finds: a blackie Strat and a blonde 76' LP Standard that I played thru a rebuilt old azz JCM800/2203. I spent several years in classical lessons and accumulated a few really old classicals and several nice acoustics too. I have about an equal mix of vintage gear and modern gear. When I first got serious about electric playing I spent a summer living in Austin at my uncles house on Lake Travis in 84' getting private lessons with Van Wilks (Doyle Bramhall, Billy Gibbons, Eric Johnson all call him one of their inspirations, he's a hidden gem in Texas and a master of power blues/rock) and then stayed with my gramma in Tulsa a month so I could get some lessons with Frank Woodard, Dick Gordon Sr and Jr. I spent alot of my time that month in Tulsa bugging Larry Briggs when he still had his shop on Peoria. I snagged some cool guitars and gear from him and even made off with some of his old clothes, lolllll. Back in San Diego I started out in thrash metal bands playing all up and down the coast but only on the weekends because I was still in highschool. Every time I made any money playing I bought gear. When RoadRunner records started up by some people I knew I started working there part time and acquired some cool gear there. I have worked for them off and on in some form ever since besides playing. 5 more years and Im done playing).

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you've made the rounds a time or two.
My dad was a drummer and has a history similar to yours, some cool stories. If you can believe them...
I've got a JCM2000 DSL100 head that took a crap on me a while back and I haven't got around to getting it fixed. I'm not much of an acoustic player but most (which isn't much) of my playing lately has been on my boys Martin Traveler. Been dicking around with slide on it the last few time I picked it up.

Guns, trucks.... They just toys.
I find a guitar that feels right and I don't let it go.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns, trucks.... They just toys.
I find a guitar that feels right and I don't let it go.

Yaa my guns and vehicles come and go too except for my more emotionally prized ones like a Beretta 92F my ex Marine/ex LEO dad sent me off with when I left home and my grandfathers H&R service revolver that he carried as a cop in the 50s. 2 88' Blazers, an S10 4x4 my mom bought me brand new when I grad HS and a big lifted K5 I bought when I started working I'll never sell. They just feel right, same as guitars I guess.

phwillie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is an addiction. I am always looking for the next high when I trade for something I haven't had yet. If I go for more than a month without buying or trading for a different gun I go into withdrawal. Some times my partner in gunshows and I just trade with each other to stay in training.

Shooter77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can be very addicting. Always looking to modify my collection to suit my mood at the time. Of course there are the sentimental ones that will never be sold, but then there are the cool factor ones that just satisfy a short term fixation, and then you have the good deals you couldn't pass up and make a buck or two when sold. I always like to have a couple on the chopping block if I see the need to buy/sell. I use to never sell or trade but the search for the next one is always fun and it's easier on the wallet when you can just trade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom