Why doesn't Nevada recognize Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious here; I was looking on handgunlaw.us and I noticed Nevada does not recognize Oklahoma, and was just wondering why not. I know some states do this and some do that regarding reciprocity; obviously we recognize THEM so what's up?

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious here; I was looking on handgunlaw.us and I noticed Nevada does not recognize Oklahoma, and was just wondering why not. I know some states do this and some do that regarding reciprocity; obviously we recognize THEM so what's up?

I believe it has something to do with our new 10 year permit. Since they don't issue licinses for that long, they don't want to recognize ours. It might have to do with a certain level of similarity between the state's laws for them to recognize it. Or something like that. Someone else probably knows the actual reason.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In answer to the title question:

Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system. From: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3689

OK does not meet this requirement.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In answer to the title question:

Determine whether each state has an electronic database which identifies each individual who possesses a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by that state and which a law enforcement officer in this State may access at all times through a national law enforcement telecommunications system. From: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3689

OK does not meet this requirement.

How does Oklahoma not meet this requirement?

My guess is either because the list isn't made public or the requirements are less stringent than Nevada.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not at all sure that Oklahoma honors a Nevada license.

I could be wrong.

Oklahoma Self-Defense Act
Section 1290.26 - Concealed Weapons-Licenses from Other States Valid

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.

Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom