Why is there a 22LR ammo shortage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question is why is there a 22LR ammo shortage? I have read and heard many explanations for the shortage.

I like everyone else remembers when you could go to places like Walmart and buy a brick of 500, 22LR for prices like $10. and then it went up to $20. In a three year span. Now, if you can find it on the internet it is so high that many of us just shake our heads and say to ourselves I will just wait. Others give in a buy it for that price.

What is your valid explanation?

Here is one reason that was given by a person in a forum, this other is from an article in Forbes.

‘Demand has way exceeded supply. I too have had a hard time finding .22LR. Or if the ammo is stocked, price is $21.99 to $22.99 for say Federal Bulk Pack (525 rounds) or Remington (I believe 525 rounds). Our local Cabela's had 2100 rounds of Federal Bulk Pack in a metal ammo box for $99.99. Used to be $84.99. At the same Cabela's, they are out of target, match, and subsonic .22LR ammo. All because of a couple of delusional murdering lunatics.’

Next is From Forbes

It’s easy to understand this worry. As gun sales break records-partly because of fear of coming gun control from the Obama administration-supplies of ammo ran so low that gun stores and ranges have to ration ammunition. Meanwhile, rumors of mass purchases of ammunition made by government entities began to fly around the Internet. Making all this even worse is that fact that it hasn’t been a short-term supply problem. Now well over a year since the shortages of popular types of ammo began there are still empty shelves and rationing here and there around the United States.

Mix this series of events with a media that doesn’t understand the issue enough to explain it (even if they could drop their biases long enough to try), add a pinch of understandable paranoia from some gun owners and ka-boom!

Such an explosion, in fact, that many ammo makers have felt compelled to publish explanations. Also, the National Rifle Association (NRA) felt compelled by its membership to investigate and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for gun, ammo and related businesses, decided to look into the problem. There was even a congressional hearing.

At the hearing, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), who chairs one of the House oversight subcommittees, noted that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is using roughly 1,000 rounds of ammunition more per person than the U.S. Army. “It is entirely … inexplicable why the Department of Homeland Security needs so much ammunition,” said Chaffetz.

Chaffetz noted that DHS bought more than 103 million rounds in 2012 and used 116 million that same year for about 70,000 public employees. Chaffetz said the DHS is shooting up between 1,300 and 1,600 rounds per person, while the U.S. Army goes through only about 350 rounds annually per soldier. These numbers led some gun bloggers to cry conspiracy; though, many others noted that 350 rounds per soldier is a pretty stingy way to train people to shoot automatic weapons.

Also, the DHS buys ammo for its own police force, for Customs and Border Protection, for the Federal Emergency Management Administration, for Immigration & Customs Enforcement, for the U.S. Secret Service, for the Transportation Security Administration and for other federal entities. Meanwhile, U.S. Army personnel train for a long list of job responsibilities, many of which have little to do with small arms.

Nevertheless, Nick Nayak, chief procurement officer for the DHS, didn’t push back against Chaffetz’s numbers. Nayak said that DHS, on average, buys roughly 100 million rounds per year. He said claims that DHS is stockpiling ammo are “simply not true.” DHS buys in bulk to save money, but overall its purchases are actually slightly down. In fact, a letter from DHS explained that in 2010 the DHS purchased 148,314,825 rounds. In 2011 the DHS bought 108,664,054 rounds. And in 2012 the DHS purchased 103,178,200 rounds of ammo.

Federal Premium Ammunition, an American ammo manufacturer founded in 1992 that now has 1,400 employees in Anoka, Minn., published a statement saying the rumor that the DHS is “buying excessive quantities of ammunition thereby restricting availability to the commercial market” is a “false and baseless claim.” They say, “The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.”

So if this shortage of ammo isn’t a sinister government plot, what’s going on? For answers I interviewed manufacturers, gun-store owners, members of gun-rights organizations and more. Here’s what they have to say and what’s to come.

American Ammo Makers Are Expanding

The increased demand has prompted ammunition makers in the U.S. to expand facilities, add new shifts and streamline production. Federal Premium says, “Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.”

As they work to catch up with demand, Federal posted a statement on its website saying, “We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.”

Last edited:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's nothing more than demand outstripping supply. 22 will eventually come back, in fact some people are starting to see it now - prices may never be back down to where they used to be, but that's not surprising. once the buying public shows they are willing to pay higher prices, they become the new norm. I think the days of the $10 500 pack are way long gone. There is a new norm, and it's much higher than that.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's this:

new-1.jpg

No one seems to be stocking it around these parts... :scratch:

Lizard

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my conversations with salespeople at Wally's, the problem seems to be people that buy the maximum amount as soon as it comes in. The same people wait in line with family and friends so that they can buy everything that comes in, every time it comes in. Stockpiling ammo that's in short supply.

Now, I have to admit that I have stockpiled ammo also. I bought Federal Valu-Paks before they were in short supply. I believed that the price was going up, so I started buying them when they were $8.50 a box and pretty much quit when they reached $10. I have 5 to 7 .30 cal cans, each with 4,000 rounds of .22lr that I bought cheap when there was no shortage. I did the same with Aguila 9mm, Federal 5.56 and 7.62 NATO as well as .45ACP value packs (couldn't pass it up, they were within 1 cent of the cost of reloading) and some .308 Rem in a soft point.

But, I don't buy quantities of ammo that's in short supply. And now I have enough ammo to keep me through retirement (except for .17 HM2). I've sold some of my ammo to friends for a little less than what it would cost me to replace it, but am not looking to sell and make a profit. All of which is sort of off topic, but I just want people to know that I didn't buy ammo that was in short supply, and it's my opinion that the shortage is caused by people that purchase the short ammo and hoard it.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rant below is just my opinion. I realize some will think i'm a dumbass, some will disagree, some will agree. I don't really care either way because I BELIEVE it's things that need to be said, therefore here i am running my head. If you don't agree, that's cool...that's what freedom of speach and expression are all about. I won't change my life one bit to be called names...LOL Happens every day. Everyone have a great day.

.22LR ammo

Right now, it's the danged hoarders and resellers. They (And their Posse) line up at every place that sells retail ammo and then buy it and either resell it at elevated prices or add it to their 6 million rounds they already have. i KNOW some of these people and THEY are the problem. It's become a sport...it's become greed driven. They are the pirates of today.

Everyone should be able to have enough ammo.......there is NOTHING wrong with buying what you need. There's nothing wrong with stocking up. It's these jackwagons that have a blood lust for it ( And nothing else to do evidently) that are causing the problems.

I know, I know..."free enterprise" and blah blah blah.........tell it to the kids that can't find any ammo to shoot in their .22's that have been a staple of growing up in the United States for decades. Tell it to the parents that WANT to take their kids shooting and teach them.....For those who are doing the things described to propogate the shortage..... YOU are doing your selfish part in screwing the next generation of shooters...the ones that will fight for our liberties in the future. If they can't shoot, if they can't grow up into a shooting brotherhood, and become passionaate about it, they will go onto other things and not really CARE about guns, 2a rights, etc..etc..Why should we think they will support a sport/lifestyle that they are unable to grow into and participate in? If you don't get them young, most will never become involved.

Also......if your livelyhood depends on selling .22lr ammo.....look into your life choices. I don't wanna hear about "this is how i keep my (whatever) open. If you plan on making it in the long run, you may want to pick up another skill set or two.

Where will that leave the fight against the gun and liberty grabbers in the future??? Think about it THAT way!! This thing isn't just about 22 ammo folks.

But then again, i doubt that a lot of the folks that are causing the problem even care about things like the future, liberty, freedoms, etc. If the shoe fits....................

Peace.

JD (Making new friends constantly...LOL) : )

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rant below is just my opinion. I realize some will think i'm a dumbass, some will disagree, some will agree. I don't really care either way because I BELIEVE it's things that need to be said, therefore here i am running my head. If you don't agree, that's cool...that's what freedom of speach and expression are all about. I won't change my life one bit to be called names...LOL Happens every day. Everyone have a great day.

.22LR ammo

Right now, it's the danged hoarders and resellers. They (And their Posse) line up at every place that sells retail ammo and then buy it and either resell it at elevated prices or add it to their 6 million rounds they already have. i KNOW some of these people and THEY are the problem. It's become a sport...it's become greed driven. They are the pirates of today.

Everyone should be able to have enough ammo.......there is NOTHING wrong with buying what you need. There's nothing wrong with stocking up. It's these jackwagons that have a blood lust for it ( And nothing else to do evidently) that are causing the problems.

I know, I know..."free enterprise" and blah blah blah.........tell it to the kids that can't find any ammo to shoot in their .22's that have been a staple of growing up in the United States for decades. Tell it to the parents that WANT to take their kids shooting and teach them.....For those who are doing the things described to propogate the shortage..... YOU are doing your selfish part in screwing the next generation of shooters...the ones that will fight for our liberties in the future. If they can't shoot, if they can't grow up into a shooting brotherhood, and become passionaate about it, they will go onto other things and not really CARE about guns, 2a rights, etc..etc..Why should we think they will support a sport/lifestyle that they are unable to grow into and participate in? If you don't get them young, most will never become involved.

Also......if your livelyhood depends on selling .22lr ammo.....look into your life choices. I don't wanna hear about "this is how i keep my (whatever) open. If you plan on making it in the long run, you may want to pick up another skill set or two.

Where will that leave the fight against the gun and liberty grabbers in the future??? Think about it THAT way!! This thing isn't just about 22 ammo folks.

But then again, i doubt that a lot of the folks that are causing the problem even care about things like the future, liberty, freedoms, etc. If the shoe fits....................

Peace.

JD (Making new friends constantly...LOL) : )

I agree. These folks who are buying only to resell at jacked up prices make me sick. I would think that us fellow gunowners would try to look out for each other, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Heck, I even saw it in our classifieds this morning. Guy has 200 rds of CCI MiniMags that go for $8 per 100 at Wally World (if you can beat the hoarders) and he wants $50 for them! Pretty dang sad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom