Why no denim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, when I get wet and I have cotton on, I'm the first one outta my clothes ... I don't care who's looking ... Because I have a terrible time with hypothermia (that's the one where you get too cold, right?).

I'm surprised no one else picked up on this gem :wink2:

Hypo means low, hyper means high.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Merino wool is super nice. I tried merino wool socks 5 years ago and have never looked back. As far as denim goes, there are so many better materials that will keep you cooler/warmer. Don't get me wrong, I love my jeans, but if it's REAL cold out, I have better options than denim jeans.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you spent much time out in the winter woods you'd catch on real quick about denim. Someone mentioned BDU's, if they're summer weight and ripstop they're probably cotton, but anything else is either polycotton or nyco. The synthetic part aids in water resistance, durability, and dries quicker.

Wool and waxed canvas are both very good with weather resistance and heat retention but generally are much heavier than synthetics. That is why synthetic materials rule the roost in backpacking circles, with the exception of long underwear and socks.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, believe it or not, paper is a pretty good insulator, even when wet.
Newspaper is an excellent insulator. Something about newsprint not allowing sweat vapor to escape (in essence, newspaper is a poor man's vapor barrier liner). I once rode a bicycle 55 miles in pouring rain on a 60 degree day with a cold northeast wind blowing, with a "Truck Trader" type publication under my jersey and a trash bag over it. When I got to where I was going, I pulled the thing out from under my jersey and I'll bet it weighed two pounds from all the sweat it had absorbed, but it did keep me warm in that cold rain.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alot of houses are insulated with blown paper insulation as well.

Personally when i know im gonna be out in the cold, its wool for me. I prolly have 20pr of them lifetime basspro merino wool socks. Got some old wool bibs and a wool vest i picked up at a gunshow. Also use them shiney pants things the bicycle racers wear, use them like long johns. Old wool glove inserts from milsurp store. Now if i could find a cheap wool elmer fudd hat id be set.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It amazes me that im even alive. Ive lived a life thats for sure.

You and me both, my friend. I musta known nicer strangers than you though -- I've woke up without my cotton clothes before but I was never on a concrete slab in the sleet ... :wink2:

I'm surprised no one else picked up on this gem :wink2:

Hypo means low, hyper means high.

That entire post is full of possibilities.

:lookaroun 'tis my cross to bear ... *sigh* :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom