Why no night sights for rifles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Dad has a Marlin model 60 at the farm that had a scope on and the sights removed. A kid took it up to the four corners on a four wheeler and lost the scope and mounts. He found the scope but never found the mounts. I tell Dad that we need a .22 to have for around the fire pit to dispatch whatever we see and that I will see if I can find some night sights for it. Well, either my google foo is weak, or they don't make them.

My question is why not? They make Tritium sights for AR's but no other rifle that I have found.

Does anyone know of others?

Will this stuff work???

Thanks for your help OSA Brothers and Sisters in Arms!

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you will most likely find out that shooting a gun using night sights is not the easiest thing to do, contrary to the marketing and what internet commandos say. put a flashlight and a laser on it. If its just a .22, you can get those cheapy tacticool 3 in 1 sights they sell at fleamarkets and theyll probably work well enough.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Williams Firesights would work... the campfire light would illuminate the fiber optics just fine, and they make them for a wide variety of firearms. I know Brownells and Midway sell them. I agree that a weapon light would be your best bet though. This coming from a guy who has done a fair amount of night time critter killing growing up, most of it with plain old iron sights.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you will most likely find out that shooting a gun using night sights is not the easiest thing to do, contrary to the marketing and what internet commandos say. put a flashlight and a laser on it. If its just a .22, you can get those cheapy tacticool 3 in 1 sights they sell at fleamarkets and theyll probably work well enough.

I agree. The concept of night sights (to me at least) doesn't jive. If the visibility is poor enough to rely on night sights, I would think it is too poor to determine your intended target.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. The concept of night sights (to me at least) doesn't jive. If the visibility is poor enough to rely on night sights, I would think it is too poor to determine your intended target.
Not if you're using a flashlight to illuminate the target. Trying to simultaneously illuminate a skunk and the sights on your shotgun is a PITA, I can tell you that for sure and for certain.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Night sights are only to help with getting a sight picture and sight alignment not to identify targets. That's what flashlights are for.

For me, the best use for night sights are in slightly lowlight situations, not necessarily in darkness. Even during the day, there's parts of my house that is very dim, but not dark. Having bright nightsights compared to no night sights is almost night and day in terms of getting a sight picture fast. I don't have to hunt in the blob of black to align my sights. I see the three dots glowing even during the day in dim or shaded areas.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Let me give the full picture. Usually it's me and my brother, my Dad and our kids. We have flashlights but as mentioned before if some one is holding the flashlight illuminating the varmit, it's hard to put the sights on them as they are scurrying away. I saw the fiber optic sights but thought night sights would be better. I mean I have them on my carry gun and my house pistol for a reason and would like some on my campfire varmit .22.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why they are not available is simple. Economics, they sell a million for Glocks,XDs, M&Ps but would probably sell very few for any rifle other than an AR. However with that said, I remember back when trijicon and the others were just getting started they would custom install on most any gun that the sights were thick enough to handle the vials.
You might check their websites and see if they still do.

a nitecore mh25 flashlight and a cheap laser would probably be better and cheaper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom