Why so little interst (seemingly) in IDPA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that you're pretty far from a major metro probably accounts for some of it.

IDPA shooters tend much more toward the casual than USPSA shooters, which is why IDPA has had such success. IDPA shooters will likely not drive an hour and a half for a local match.

My experience in IDPA was that largely, with some exceptions, IDPA folks were people who shot guns amongst other hibbies or interests. USPSA shooters tend towards shooting being their primary hobby so they will travel further and spend more.

My take.

Michael Brown

Coache27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three of us shot at the Tin Star match today. All of us had never shot any kind of pistol competition before. Twenty competitors
shot and everybody was very nice and helpful. The match lasted 2 hrs and 15 min. They told me they host this match
every second Sunday at 2 p.m. We will definititely be going back. Also, newbies: don't be aftraid to try this. These matches
are for fun and real life shooting situations that could save your life. I also believe the range at Hinton has these regularly. Once again,
I cannot stress how much fun these are no matter what skill level you are.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Glocktogo, no need for animosity. I've shot IDPA, USPSA, ProAm, trap, skeet, sporting clays, bowling pins, 3 gun, it's all good. Any trigger time is good time to me.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its IDPGAY

Really?!?! What's the point of bashing a shooting sport??? If someone wants to shoot a certain type of trigger sport, more power to em. It's about people getting together and enjoying shooting guns with friendly competition! That's the beauty of IDPA...you can be an extreme novice, go pick up affordable/minimul gear and go out and have fun. It's a great way to get people involved in trigger sports!

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really?!?! What's the point of bashing a shooting sport??? If someone wants to shoot a certain type of trigger sport, more power to em. It's about people getting together and enjoying shooting guns with friendly competition! That's the beauty of IDPA...you can be an extreme novice, go pick up affordable/minimul gear and go out and have fun. It's a great way to get people involved in trigger sports!

I could not agree with you more. IDPA puts everyone on a relatively equal playing field when it comes to equipment.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could not agree with you more. IDPA puts everyone on a relatively equal playing field when it comes to equipment.

That's why USPSA invented Production.

Many USPSA shooters have heard the story of the USPSA shooter who went to the IDPA match and was treated poorly. It might be an urban legend. I tried an IDPA match and had multiple failures to do right. That was my own fault since I didn't take the time to understand IDPA rules, but it really did not motivate me to return. It didn't really matter, since shortly after that the IDPA club shooting at H&H closed.

I probably would have tried it a long time ago if we had an OKC match. I still want to eventually...if I can get my hands on a sweet concealment cape. :smash:

I've shot IDPA-style matches and it's just not as much fun as USPSA. I like the mental aspect of stage planning. Some IDPA-types irk me with the argument that USPSA is impractical. As much as I'd like to grab some simunitions and test that theory, the reality is that these are GAMES. I'm not close-minded about IDPA, it's just that there's so many great USPSA club matches in OK.

Anyway...USPSA is my first love, but I would never, ever do it again if I could shoot 3 gun every weekend. It's where the most skill, fun and money is!

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why USPSA invented Production.

I probably would have tried it a long time ago if we had an OKC match. I still want to eventually...if I can get my hands on a sweet concealment cape. :smash:

I've shot IDPA-style matches and it's just not as much fun as USPSA. I like the mental aspect of stage planning. Some IDPA-types irk me with the argument that USPSA is impractical. As much as I'd like to grab some simunitions and test that theory, the reality is that these are GAMES. I'm not close-minded about IDPA, it's just that there's so many great USPSA club matches in OK.

Anyway...USPSA is my first love, but I would never, ever do it again if I could shoot 3 gun every weekend. It's where the most skill, fun and money is!

I shot several IDPA matches, and did not find much 'defensive' in it. It may have been the 'club', but it seemed like it was not as advertised.More interested in gaming than defense. A few stages were too much Hollywood/John Woo like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom