Why the snubbing of small caliber ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One day at work sitting on break I overheard coworkers talking about the guns they had what they shoot going about 9mm, .40, .45, I piped up said I had a .380 I liked, one guy told all you would do is piss me off with it, the .380 would not go through a leather jacket. I kept my mouth shut, but inside I am thinking it is something I like, and I am comfortable with it and can control it, what does the size of caliber matter? If I can't control or handle a .40, .45, 0r .357 would use is it? I have seen videos even of .22 going through stuff wouldn't think it would penatrate so that is surprising. To me if you handle the ammo and gun and keep it on target does the size of calibur really matter, if you can't handle it and keep it target then whats the point of having it. This is more for protection, EDC and having it concealed.

My .380 fits my hands perfect, easy for me to handle. I have tried some 9mm to me they are big, bulky and heavy and don't feel I could comfortably handle them. I don't want this to end up in a big heated debate just want honest thoughts of what others think of small calibur ammo for protection use. I understand the bigger caliburs what for bigger reasons, but for something to carry look at the smaller calibur. My thought also is once you start popping rounds the threat is more than likely to retreat and get out of dodge to avoid being hit anyway, I know I would run.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything is a compromise. Shot placement is important. The bigger and more powerful the cartridge, the more forgiving if shot placement is a little off.

But a .380 is powerful enough, if that's what you handle best and can shoot more accurately. A hit in the chest with a .380 is better than a miss with a .44 magnum. All else being equal, a .44 magnum will do a lot more damage than a .380, but all else is seldom equal.

Whoever said a .380 will not go through a leather jacket is an.... well, not the smartest person in the room.

But for not wanting a big heated debate, this is the perfect topic for a big heated debate. LOL!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a video of a big tough former Marine trooper put 5 shots of .357 center mass point blank on a guy, who then shot the trooper with a .22 derringer, while lying on his back in a ditch, paralyzed. .22 went in under his left arm, in the open spot of his body armor, you could watch the trooper die as his blood pressure dropped while he was calling on his lapel mic for backup, as that little .22 round transected his aorta. It was heartbreaking to watch.

Carry what you're comfortable with.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had people tell me the 30-30 was only good for 100 yards and after that it was no good.
I tell them if that is the case then you would not mind standing 1000 yards away and let me shoot at you with the 30-30.
They do not like that thought at all.
Ask the guy to donate the leather jacket and a 3/4" piece of plywood and allow you to shoot it with your 380 and see what happens.
Probably back pedal.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may be heresy, but I'm strongly considering getting a Ruger LCR in 22mag for my SO. Her grip strength is limited in racking the slide on her Sig P238. She certainly can't pull the slide on a 9mm, and certainly doesn't like it's recoil. I think the 22mag revolver would be a great compromise. She's a pretty good shot which is a plus with the smaller ammo.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard alot say a 30-30 is not good its weak but have seen alot of stuff taken with that round. So far with what I have ran through the 380 I feel I handle it just fine. I have always thought no matter the round if its on target it will do the job if you miss then no matter how big or powerful the round its no good.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be heresy, but I'm strongly considering getting a Ruger LCR in 22mag for my SO. Her grip strength is limited in racking the slide on her Sig P238. She certainly can't pull the slide on a 9mm, and certainly doesn't like it's recoil. I think the 22mag revolver would be a great compromise. She's a pretty good shot which is a plus with the smaller ammo.

Thats my mom she is unsure even on a 380 if she could handle it but would more inclined to pop off a 22 if somebody was to get into the house. I told her even you grab the shotgin snd rack may be enough to scare them off.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the .32 caliber was considered plenty for decades. Even up until just a few years ago the 32 ACP was issue for LEO in Europe.

Here in the US, many cops carried 32 SW in revolvers. Up until the illicit drug trade grew out of control, particularly amphetamines and PCP, it was plenty.

Now, you get them amped up freaks, it takes a bazooka to knock em down.

Of subject, but it reminds me of the knights in the Monty Python movie. He gets his leg chopped off, 'its just a flesh wound'. Another and another limb comes off, he ends up on the ground just a head and torso, screaming ' come fight me, you coward '.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats my mom she is unsure even on a 380 if she could handle it but would more inclined to pop off a 22 if somebody was to get into the house. I told her even you grab the shotgin snd rack may be enough to scare them off.
I'm pretty sure the bad people in this world know that breaking and entering/thieving is against the law so they've already been warned. So you'll get no racking of a shotgun as a warning from me. Semi automatic and no chance of short shucking a pump in the heat of the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom