Why the snubbing of small caliber ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum as a next gun.
Does anyone have any thoughts about 327 Fed?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fortunately, I've never had to shoot someone, and I've never had to examine gunshot victims. So take the rest of this with a grain of salt.

Whitetail deer are pretty much human sized critters. I'm not much of a hunter, my total deer count is less than 10. Most with a .243, and two with .45-70. All chest shots. All ran from 25 to over 100 yards. I've never had a DRT deer kill. Three did not even leave blood trails. I was fortunate enough to find all of them. All but one were broadside chest shots. The one was from a tree stand, it was facing me. Bullet went through low throat, through the heart and exited through the sternum. Still ran over 50 yards. Most were through and through, a couple of the .243 bullets stopped under the skin on the far side. I also saw a running deer shot broadside with a Colt Woodsman .22 that only ran about 20 yards before dropping.

My point is: no reasonable carry gun can come even close to a .243 or a .45-70 in power. If you're ever in a gunfight, and I hope and pray none of us are, DO NOT expect the bad guy to DRT. Whatever you are carrying, chances are it will not happen.

I understand that deer and people do not necessarily think alike. All a deer knows is it heard a loud noise, something hit it and it runs. People may think, "Oh God, I've been shot" and drop, to die on the ground. Others will not even know or care that they've been shot and continue to fight. There ain't no guarantees in life.

And for the folks that think a .30-30 is a weak round, a 170 grain bullet at 2100 fps ain't weak. Just because there are more powerful .30 caliber cartridges, doesn't mean the .30-30 isn't a bad boy. I know of one man shot in the rotator cuff with a .30-30. It took the fight right out of him. And there hasn't been a deer yet fast enough to outrun one.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum as a next gun.
Does anyone have any thoughts about 327 Fed?

Been interested in it since it came out but it just hasn't risen to the top of my wish list. The exterior ballistics data is promising as a defensive round. It's not really that close to the 357 Mag as some early advertising would have us believe, but it sure kicks the snot out of the 9mm.
I think the greatest benefit of a 327 chambered revolver is the ability to safely chamber 4 different cartridges, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom