Why would only one gun in my safe have rust and none of the other?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up my Winchester model 63-22 and it had some rust on the receiver. I havent shot the gun much but it was the only one that had rust. Luckily there was minimal damage. I was just shocked it had rust on it after 2 months of sitting. it is the closest one to the locker wall and there is a window unit AC next to it. I have one of those electric dehumidity things that you plug in. I know the locker shouldnt be next to the AC but it was the only place my landlord would let me bolt it to the wall and floor.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much oil should I use when wiping it down? Also what about small internal pecked in the trigger area? A drop of lube? I use gun scrubber then lube everything with rem oil then the exterior I wipe down with blockade.
Remember that Gun Scrubber strips existing lube off so you need to completely re-lube wherever it touched. Not that it would explain one gun rusting and the next one not unless perhaps you hadn't re-lubed one well enough. As others have mentioned, I use a silicon impregnated cloth to wipe down before putting them in the safe. I also keep one on top of the safe for use when I handle them inside the safe (moving one to reach another, etc.)

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that Gun Scrubber strips existing lube off so you need to completely re-lube wherever it touched. Not that it would explain one gun rusting and the next one not unless perhaps you hadn't re-lubed one well enough. As others have mentioned, I use a silicon impregnated cloth to wipe down before putting them in the safe. I also keep one on top of the safe for use when I handle them inside the safe (moving one to reach another, etc.)
I like the guns crubber because it removes everything. I do coat my guns pretty well but I guess I didnt get that one well enough. It just sat there for so long in between use that I guess I need to start wiping them all down once a month. Just to get more routine with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly what I do.
I keep a can of silicon spray and a cloth on top of the safe. In places that can't be reached with the cloth, give it a squirt with the spray, and wipe off the excess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom