Why you should CCW every day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
let me pass along an experience I had. I am a Police Officer and I started to become complacent in carrying when I was off duty. I only had my Glock 31 that I carried in a Blackhawk Serpa hip holster when I was off duty and I started to leave it at the house when I would go out because it was just too darn big to carry all the time comfortably especially in the summertime. I did not have any other pistols that I could carry at the time and I did not carry a back up gun when I was on duty.

I was in a pharmacy and I was the only customer there. I was in the store for about 30 minutes and as I was leaving I held the door open for another "customer" as the were entering. I did not thing anything about it but when I got to work that night I learned that the pharmacy I was in earlier in the day had been robbed at gunpoint. I went back to the jail to take a look at the guy who had robbed the store (because we caught him later in the day) and would you believe it was the same guy I had held the door open to when I was leaving the pharmacy.

I was only seconds away from being in a gunfight with this guy and I did not even know it...and I did not have a gun on me at the time. I was not a very good sheep dog on this day and I am ashamed that I was so complacent in my carry habits. I now carry a Smith and Wesson 642 Deluxe Talo Edition in my pocket everyday all day even when I am at the house. Or I will carry my new Ruger LCP. I even now carry one of these two guns as a back up gun while on duty.

I guess what I am trying to say is you never know when violence will occur and the best policy is to be a boy scout (always prepared). I took an oath to protect life, property and to protect the constitution and that means I may have to kill someone to do so...but I can only do these things If I have to tools at hand to protect.

If you have a CCW permit you should carry every day all day without fail. Find a gun that works for you even if it is just a small .380 because any gun is better than no gun at all. Just my 2 cents.

thecolonel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Story and you are right. You never know when you will need the firearm. Many times you need the weapon for defense against 4 - legged critters not just the 2 - legged variety. The only time I have ever pulled my weapon was when my, the 5 year old son and I stepped out of the garage and came face to face with two Dobermans that acted aggressively toward us. They put their heads down bared their teeth and began growling at us, but did not advance so I did not shoot. We moved slowly back into the garage and pushed the garage door button, the door came down and they did not advance any farther. Scared the daylights out of me and my son especially was scared. It is interesting to note that when I talked with the police officer who responded to the incident, he chewed my butt for NOT shooting the dogs, he told me in the future if I am scared enough to draw my weapon, then obviously I was fearful for my safety and my son's, shoot the dog. The city would take the position that "it was a rational and prudent discharge of a firearm in the city limits.
By the way ever since that episode my son would ask before leaving the house, "daddy do you have your gun?"

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True...and yes you would have been justified in shooting those dogs...your sons comments are great...now if we all had a little voice to remind us to carry.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess what I am trying to say is you never know when violence will occur and the best policy is to be a boy scout (always prepared). I took an oath to protect life, property and to protect the constitution and that means I may have to kill someone to do so...but I can only do these things If I have to tools at hand to protect.

If you have a CCW permit you should carry every day all day without fail. Find a gun that works for you even if it is just a small .380 because any gun is better than no gun at all. Just my 2 cents.

Your thoughts are appreciated, along with your personal experience. As we know from reading various gun publications, critical incidents can arise without warning and the best policy is to be prepared and aware. Unfortunately, our betters have determined that we are not to be trusted to be armed in certain locations and circumstances due to the "sensitive nature" (Heller ruling language) of those locations. Since I work at one of those locations, by law I cannot even have a firearm in the car during the commute unless I park off-site (not really feasible/realistic).

Real freedom and the rights of citizens are now mere nebulous concepts without reality for many because we have traded them for the appearance of security. The political fight to get them back will be long and arduous but I am going to do my part in carefully screening candidates for public office. Bottom line: if the candidate/office-holder does not trust you with your firearm then you can't trust them to do the right thing as regards your freedom and rights as a citizen.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think an armed society is a polite society...and I am thankful that I can carry in more places than a normal CCW permit holder. And your right you have to screen candidates that will uphold the constitution and what it truly means when it comes to your rights.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I wanna say...:clap3:...for finally realizing the importance of a pocket gun. While the pocket carried J frame falls under a lot of scrutiny, I feel like it is the absolute best way to carry when you just don't feel like "holstering up" for a quick trip to the store...or pharmacy. ;) With the Airweight J frames and a plethora of pocket holsters out there to choose from, there is absolutey no excuse for not totin' one. :nono1: Hell, I can carry it in a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. My normal off duty attire. :D

Next, I wanna say...:angry3:...for failing in your role as a sheep dog. Your punishment is to click on and read BOTH of my signatures. Sounds as if you need a quick refresher.

Glad it turned out for the better. It coulda been a helluva lot worse.

Did the scrote recognize you when you saw him in the slammer?

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, I wanna say...:clap3:...for finally realizing the importance of a pocket gun. While the pocket carried J frame falls under a lot of scrutiny, I feel like it is the absolute best way to carry when you just don't feel like "holstering up" for a quick trip to the store...or pharmacy. ;) With the Airweight J frames and a plethora of pocket holsters out there to choose from, there is absolutey no excuse for not totin' one. :nono1: Hell, I can carry it in a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. My normal off duty attire. :D

Next, I wanna say...:angry3:...for failing in your role as a sheep dog. Your punishment is to click on and read BOTH of my signatures. Sounds as if you need a quick refresher.

Glad it turned out for the better. It coulda been a helluva lot worse.

Did the scrote recognize you when you saw him in the slammer?

No he didn't remember me in the slammer...and I clicked on your signatures....I agree totally...hindsight is the mother of all f#@$ Ups I know it was a lesson I had to learn the hard way but the important thing is I learned it and I am still here to tell my story so others don't have to make the same mistake I did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom