Why You Should Secure Your Guns Before Leaving Home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crappy reporting as usual, but if you read between the lines and make an assumption, it appears this homeowner came home to find burglars had already found his gun. There's not much worse than being shot with your own gun, so I'd recommend securing or disabling your HD guns before you leave them at home unattended. :(

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/...icleid=20100727_450_0_ATulsa390304&rss_lnk=11

Police: Man shot in Tulsa home after interrupting burglary

A man was shot three times with his own gun after he interrupted a burglary at his midtown home Tuesday afternoon.

The 51-year-old victim, identified by police as Wesley Nelson, was in surgery immediately after the shooting and his condition is not yet known, said Tulsa Police Officer Leland Ashley.

The suspects fled the scene and are still armed, Ashley said.

The pair are described as white, between 17 and 22 years old, 5 feet 8 inches tall and 160 pounds. One is wearing a blue T-shirt and the other is wearing a red T-shirt, Ashley said.

Police do not know whether they had a vehicle.

Nelson came home between 12:15 and 12:20 p.m. to find the men attempting to steal a large TV from his wall, Ashley said.

The burglars then picked up Nelson's .38-caliber weapon and shot Nelson in the torso before fleeing out a side door. Ashley said.

"When you have individuals willing to shoot an unarmed victim, these are people we need to get," Ashley said.

James Taylor, riding his bike in the neighborhood Tuesday afternoon, said he thinks there's been an uptick in crime nearby in the past few years.

"It used to not be like this" said Taylor, who has lived on 36th Place for several years.

His wife drives by Nelson's house every day when she goes to work, and he is particularly worried about criminals brazen enough to enter an occupied home or use firearms on homeowners, he said.

``If something like this happened to me, I'd be completely at their (the robbers) mercy," he said.

Helen Craieg lives a few houses down from the victim, and said she was more than concerned about the crime in what she described as a "very quiet neighborhood."

"But it seems to be all around us," she said.

Craieg, who lives alone and is homebound, has lived in her house for about five years. She said she always locks her doors but generally feels safe.

Check back at Tulsaworld.com for updates to this story.

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup... I try to put up most of my guns in the gun safe before leaving... but it's a fine line between access and security of your weapons.

betcha homeowner wishes he was CCW that pistol instead of leaving it at home. things probably would have turned out differently.

we'd have another two thugs in the hospital or dead... instead of homeowner. with three .38 caliber bullets in him... he may not make it.

it's flat amazing how emboldened thugs that do home invasions have become in Tulsa. how many is this..... something like 5 home invasions in the last 10 days?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Stumbling into a BE at home has always been the biggest situation I worry about.

+1

A year or so ago I came home to the front door open (storm door closed) and the dogs were nowhere to be found. Turned out the dogs had been left in the back yard and the wife or kids hadn't pulled the door closed when they left for the store, but I was still glad I had my carry gun as I searched the house.

My guns are either locked up or on me. I have kids and their friends are over frequently, so no guns lying around unsecured.

Latest posts

Top Bottom