Wife drew great salt plains NWR hunt. Previous experiences or advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I made a ground blind from tamarack brush.... she wound up having an allergic reaction to it....had to get her on some Benadryl to lessen the effects....swollen lips and tounge... it was a lil scary to be way far out from any kind of hospital...

Reaction score
Hopefully she can get to a decent spot via a trail system... not to deep in... I’m guessing that when she harvest an animal...she is the only one who can haul it out....or is a helper aloud to help retrieve the animal?

Reaction score
Very possible. At the time, no trails. We carried out my doe on a pole.
We had seen that method on TV lol. That deer got to swinging and was almost impossible to carry that way. Maybe if we had marched with cadence., but it was tough. Large cat tail fields to walk through right when they were releasing their seeds. The guy on the back of the pole got a nose and eyeful. We had to swap out to keep from killing each other. Lol. We were young and tough.
When you say we, I take it that you were allowed a helper to assist in the game retrieval? Or was this just another hunter that decided to lend a hand?

Reaction score
The biggest shed I’ve ever seen was on the north side near the waterfowl area
My hunting partner picked up a shed from a buck we had been hunting the next county west of there... he was a wide 6x6... one side scored 97 3/8”... if you double that and add a 20-24” inside spread you have a world class whitetail.... the base was massive and a huge main beam length.... I knew when I seen him he was well over 200”....I was, and am still green with jeliousy that he picked that shed .... I hunted that buck hard...

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was along the salt fork river...which is a tributary to the salt plains....

I know a little about the quality of bucks along the Salt Fork, and there are typically a few really big ones produced every year. With all the rain, this year should interesting.:wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom