Wife worried about CCW repurcussions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a Concealed Carry permit and i always carry especially when i pick my wife up from work. She's the assistant manager at a retail store and regularly carries hundreds of dollars to deposit at the end of the day. She has recently started worrying that she would get in trouble if her district manager happened to find out that i carry in their store. I try my best to keep it concealed but you never know what may happen. My opinion is, they cant bring any sort of disciplinary actions against my wife for my actions. Especially when said action is legal and in no way breaking any rules/regulations. Any opinions on this?

RyansFortyFives

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Concealed Carry permit and i always carry especially when i pick my wife up from work. She's the assistant manager at a retail store and regularly carries hundreds of dollars to deposit at the end of the day. She has recently started worrying that she would get in trouble if her district manager happened to find out that i carry in their store. I try my best to keep it concealed but you never know what may happen. My opinion is, they cant bring any sort of disciplinary actions against my wife for my actions. Especially when said action is legal and in no way breaking any rules/regulations. Any opinions on this?

Yeah, if they did something like that, they would just be begging for a lawsuit. If it's a condition of your wife's employment, then as long as SHE isn't carrying, there is nothing they can do to you.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does her store display a "no weapons" sign at the entrance? if not, they couldn't say anything to her. If it is displayed, and it is a real concern of yours maybe you could talk to the manager/owner about getting permission to carry becasue of the circumstances.

To answer your question about your wife getting in trouble. Oklahoma is an "at will" employment state and they don't need any reason to terminate, unfortunately.

BC

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does her store display a "no weapons" sign at the entrance? if not, they couldn't say anything to her. If it is displayed, and it is a real concern of yours maybe you could talk to the manager/owner about getting permission to carry becasue of the circumstances.

To answer your question about your wife getting in trouble. Oklahoma is an "at will" employment state and they don't need any reason to terminate, unfortunately.

BC

QFT. If they were smart about it, they'd just terminate her with no explanation and she wouldn't have a hook to hang her hat on. If they're schizo paranoid about guns, I'd just wait for her in the car.

Just as a procedural question, do you drive her to the bank to make the deposits after work? Is she on the clock? Do they pay mileage? If so, they could terminate her for that with you carrying. If they're not, does she meet the requirements for true salaried employee status? If not, they may be violating labor laws. Just some things to think about.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there isn't a gun-buster sign up, there is nothing that they can do at all, legally that is. If they found out you were carrying they could ask you to leave (which you would then legally have to do), but no one should ever see your ccw...

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
thanks for all the replys. they do not have any signs saying no weapons and she is not on the clock nor does she get mileage when making the deposits. they are made on our time in our privately owned vehicles. Of course if they happened to find out and asked me not to bring it inside i would comply. i dont want any trouble and i was just looking for a second, third, well, as many opinions as i could get to set her mind at ease. she grew up in a gun-free house and is kind of paranoid about the subject.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, what would worry me most is her status with insurance if something happens during the delivery, particularly if the company disavows responsibility for her since she was "off duty."

In a somewhat related situation, I requested--and got--a letter from the college stating I was acting in an official college capacity, although not specifically paid for that activity.

sracatback

Marksman
Reaction score
You know, what would worry me most is her status with insurance if something happens during the delivery, particularly if the company disavows responsibility for her since she was "off duty."

In a somewhat related situation, I requested--and got--a letter from the college stating I was acting in an official college capacity, although not specifically paid for that activity.

you know i never thought about that. lots of good questions to ask being raised here.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt the lack of "official duty status" would carry any weight in a Workers Comp situation. If she was doing official business for the company and got hurt, they'd find little legal protection in saying she wasn't "on the clock".

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Relax, keep your pistol well concealed and carry it.
If you just continue going on with your daily business there or anywhere else 99% of the general public will never even give you a second look. T.P.

Latest posts

Top Bottom