Wilderness & survival tools - price versus quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Middle ground is probably the sweat spot. A $200 dollar benchmade may be great but 3 $65 Ontario knives might be just as good if not better. I agree in the you get what you pay for argument in most cases but at some point there is a diminishing return. Is a Jag really any better than a Volvo at 1/3 the price. Moro's seem to be pretty decent for the price...Sharp and good steel but handles and sheathes aren't much to talk about.

OSUFire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
He has a point on the cheap disposable aspect. While working (Rescue/EMS) I usually have two knives on me to use. I carry a $150.00 gerber rescue knife that I really like and a cheap $1.99 plastic china special that I sharpen the best I can. I find it easier to dispose of the $1.99 china special when it gets blood on it than I do trying to clean my nice gerber. So you can also say that sometimes your survival depends on my china special :)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll continue to spend my hard earned dollars on good quality knives, hatches and tools. So long as you are somewhat responsible you most likely won't lose your gear and will keep it in good working order. I do agree that redundancy is a good idea and your 3rd, 4th, etc could be of the cheaper/less expensive models. I'll take my ESEE 5 & 6 at $120/each over any other brand in that size class. That being said I don't have any need for a $250+ knife of any sort. IMO, there is a point with many tools that you can spend "x" amount of dollars and get a very good quality tool. Them you start looking at the same tool of a different brand that costs 20-50% more and you are then paying for uniqueness, cosmetics and other crap that does not make the tool work any better.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The real key is to buy quality tools right. I have a number of great quality tools bought at estate sales (go the last day when prices have been slashed to 50% or more) or garage sales/flea markets, etc. I have a USN hatchet that I got for a song in a flea market and a custom hand made knife bought from 3 women at a gun show for $20. Both super quality. Then there is the Bolo Machete (with the enlarged part at the far end), now I did buy that new but it was in 1975 or 6 and it has served me under a number of seats of pick ups and now resides in the storage under the passenger seat of the Jeep. Yes, I did wrap the handle with friction tape years ago (friction tape?, what's that!) and you will not bend that blade like the crap they sell today. Bet there are some lurking out there just waiting for a garage sale. Same with my gardening tools.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of quality equipment.

Quality does not necessarily mean high dollar. I can buy a skinning knife that will run close to a thousand bucks.

I can also buy a skinning knife that runs around $250(have one) that will perform just as well, but doesn't have the designer name attached.

On a recent hunting trip, one of the guys had a folding knife that used disposable scalpel blades for skinning. I was impressed.

I will own one.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of quality equipment.

Quality does not necessarily mean high dollar. I can buy a skinning knife that will run close to a thousand bucks.

I can also buy a skinning knife that runs around $250(have one) that will perform just as well, but doesn't have the designer name attached.

On a recent hunting trip, one of the guys had a folding knife that used disposable scalpel blades for skinning. I was impressed.

I will own one.

While we are on the subject, I bought one of the Speedy Sharps you recommended Dennis and it is awesome. Not much to it but it works great.

The disposable blade knife is a Havalon, they are nice too. http://www.havalon.com/

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might compare the replacement blades with "Bard Parker" blades. We use the Bard Parker knives in the lab industry everyday and the blades are bought in bulk and can be had sterilized as well in foil single use packaging. I don't own a Havalon or I would test the fit for you but they look identical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom