Wilderness Survival Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a wilderness survival class, something with navigation, shelter, water, etc. I found a couple outfits out of western Arkansas, Sigma 3 Training and Ozark Mountain Preparedness, and a couple in OK. I also know of RAT holding a class in AL.

Does anybody have experience with this type of class or recommendations for a class or trainer? AARs on the net seem hard to find.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've met and spoken to some of the guys involved with Sigma 3. Seem like they are good to go, but I've not taken any of their training.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do NOT go to sigma three!!! The owner is NOT an honest man and a is coward who attempts to resolve issues and talk **** through Facebook. He posted my friend Billy Smith was his firearms instructor on his website without Billy even knowing it.

And despite being told to remove it he has not.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread...interesting to get some feedback on what is out there. Cody Lundin had a very common sense post on FB regarding instructors and methods (it was in answer to EOTW questions but he gets back to the basic question of staying alive). I can't argue with much of it.....

"Hi Campers, I have received many questions over the years about the "end of the world", what i think about it, and what i feel people should do about it to prepare. Clearly there is no way to sufficiently answer a question with no parameters. Religious ideologies and hobbyist opinions further cloud or enhance the issue, depending upon ones point of view.

One of the quicker ways to die is to ignore human physiology and what it requires to support life in a human body. Many people that claim to be survival instructors have no medical background. This is like a supposed car mechanic who fails to understand how an engine works. Another important aspect of staying alive under stress is the realization that human psychology colors human physiology. In other words, when someone is scared shitless, they do dumb ****; as fine and complex motor skills suffer under the human fear response. Most survival instructors are unaware of this fact too, the proof being the complicated skills taught that have little chance of working in a real survival scenario, (albeit they make cool you tube videos to dazzle the unaware.)

Another red flag is people pimping gear, especially if they happen to profit from you buying that gear. While survival gear is wise to have, it doesn't trump experience in the field, with or without that gear. Before Y2K, people were dazzled by gear, generators, etc. No one gave a damn about learning how to keep themselves alive, they wanted to purchase a product to keep them alive; a fatal mistake in the short or long term. No one can purchase competent field experience. One can pay to attend a class, and a qualified instructor will help you light years ahead of going it alone, but you must develop the competence through training and practice yourself.

Most importantly, beware of the person(s) or organization that uses fear to motivate. Fear is a big seller of gear, field courses, and whatever. Real survival instruction aims to mitigate fear, not create it. Adding to the chaos of the world with more fear is counter productive to your life, and the fate of our planet. Hate does not heal hate.

In short, i don't know how to keep you alive when or if the end of the world comes..and neither does anyone else. Pay attention, plan, and obtain items that make sense for your supposed scenario, stay as positive as possible, and LIVE LIFE! cody"

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some classes out there, but I would start out self-learning some basic skills (fire, shelter, water, land nav, and so on) using multiple pubs that are readily available. Jeff Randall at RAT or ESEE has a good reputation in the business. You may talk to the folks at Red Dawn in MWC. I seem to recall they were doing some classes there. I would also take a look at NASAR SAR Technician classes available in the area. I used to do a lot of this sort of thing back when I had time, and I will answer any questions I can. However, Mr. Lundin is correct: They are mostly basic, simple skills that require PRACTICE, as you revert to your training under stress. Practice in a permissive environment and you will have the skills should you need them. I am in AR nowadays and will look around for classes here.

spdj3

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am looking for a wilderness survival class, something with navigation, shelter, water, etc. I found a couple outfits out of western Arkansas, Sigma 3 Training and Ozark Mountain Preparedness, and a couple in OK. I also know of RAT holding a class in AL.

Does anybody have experience with this type of class or recommendations for a class or trainer? AARs on the net seem hard to find.
Which ones were you able to find in Oklahoma? I'm struggling to come across any.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which ones were you able to find in Oklahoma? I'm struggling to come across any.
You would probably get as much if not more survival skills by reading these books and practicing what they preach vs a lot of the local “survival” experts. Plus you have the reference material to go back and refresh your skills should you be preparing to go on extended hikes, get lost hunting, boat motor quits and you drift into an uninhabited area late at night, etc.

BC2AC5DF-8245-44B4-9435-8B8EEF3A591B.png
A4762DAD-37A3-46A3-946D-38CBF97CD1A6.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom