Will my CCW license still be good if I move back to Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my CCW about 5 years ago, and I moved from Tulsa to Orlando a little over two years ago.

It looks like I'll be moving back before the end of the year, and once my renters move out I'll be moving back into my old house.

My question is this, is my Oklahoma CCW still good?

Does moving away automatically negate it, or will becoming a Oklahoma citizen again automatically kick it back in?

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you didn't cancel it, and it is still valid, then it is still valid. If you are here, it is valid. I have no doubt you will hear other opinions. But if you didn't cancel it, and it doesn't need renewed, then you should be good to go.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your OK CHL is not valid unless you have an OK driver's license or state ID, and if you move to another state, you are supposed to return both. If you kept the card(s) and want to try to pretend you never left your old address, that's up to you. Good luck.

residency in the State of Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term residency shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency;

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, the card hasn't expired yet.

I had figured it wouldn't be valid till I got my new drivers license, but I guess I missed the part in the paperwork about needing to surrender it once I left the state in the first place. I don't want to take any chances with the license, I wan't the protection of having it valid on the up and up, I just wasn't sure if the state cared if there was a gap in residency.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you will have the same address as that on your card, then you are golden, but verify with the OSBI. If it is a different address, then contact the OSBI about an address change and what to do about your particular situation.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the SDA several times over the years... I don't recall any thing about surrendering the the CCL license if you move out of state. Nor have I ever had to surrender my OK DL when I moved out of state. You just can't carry both the OK DL and the other state's DL at the same time. If you still have your OK DL and it is still valid.. just switch back to using them and go about your business as normal. If you need a address change from what is on the OK DL.. go make the change [I think you have something like 10 days] and pay the fee without saying you were ever out of state.. you simply have moved from one address to another and need a address change on your license... period. And change your car tag too.

Look it up in the SDA before calling the OSBI... no need of bringing trouble on yourself if not necessary. Or if you do call the OSBI word your inquiry somethning like "[IF] I if move away for a year or two and then decided to move back because I didn't like the job or some thing.. and my CCL hasn't expired.. then will it still be good?"

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the SDA several times over the years... I don't recall any thing about surrendering the the CCL license if you move out of state. Nor have I ever had to surrender my OK DL when I moved out of state. You just can't carry both the OK DL and the other state's DL at the same time. If you still have your OK DL and it is still valid.. just switch back to using them and go about your business as normal. If you need a address change from what is on the OK DL.. go make the change [I think you have something like 10 days] and pay the fee without saying you were ever out of state.. you simply have moved from one address to another and need a address change on your license... period. And change your car tag too.

Look it up in the SDA before calling the OSBI... no need of bringing trouble on yourself if not necessary. Or if you do call the OSBI word your inquiry somethning like "[IF] I if move away for a year or two and then decided to move back because I didn't like the job or some thing.. and my CCL hasn't expired.. then will it still be good?"

I have seen instances where the OSBI has vigorously pursued individuals who became known to them as still possessing an OK SDA license, but having become a resident of another state.

Title 21 Sec 1290.9 stipulates that the individual be an Oklahoma resident. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69792

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen instances where the OSBI has vigorously pursued individuals who became known to them as still possessing an OK SDA license, but having become a resident of another state.

Title 21 Sec 1290.9 stipulates that the individual be an Oklahoma resident. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69792

I think that is to carry it as a active CCL permit.. not to posses it... as in keeping it in a drawer at home & not using it for CCL. Just like your not suppose to carry two different state's DL's at the same time. When he moves back to Oklahoma, just dig it out of the storage and start using it again once the address is correct on both the license, his DL and car tag.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State Law requires notification of change of address. .

Department of Public Safety officials are reminding Oklahomans who possess a driver license or identification card that they are required to make notification in writing to the department within 10 days upon the event of a change in mailing address, county of residence, or name. Mail a letter requesting your information be updated to DPS Driver License Services, PO Box 11415, Oklahoma City, OK 73136. Be sure to include your name, date of birth, driver license number and/or identification card number, and the information to be changed: both old and new addresses, both old and new counties of residence, or both old and new names. .

If your new address is not in Oklahoma, you must obtain a driver license in your new state of residence..

https://www.dps.state.ok.us/addresschange/address.html

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA Change Form.pdf

What the law says and what you might get away with are not identical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom