Wilshire Gun allows rapid fire now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was there yesterday afternoon and this guy every time he stepped up to the firing line would just emptied the magazine on it. I am not exaggerating. Every time he did this while I was there he emptied that mag as fast as he could. Im not one to report things but when I left I informed the guy at the counter that someone was doing this and he said "Well it says on the signs not to but as long as you keep it on paper we dont really care." I then asked him how he knew if they were keeping it on the paper as there was no one watching the range and he kind of just ignored my comment. Shrugged and laughed it off.
Again not one to tattle on people I didnt even say which guy it was just curious about it. It did seem like the person in question was keeping it on the paper but there were so many holes it was hard to tell. I just choose to leave as I only had a box of ammo left and I knew I could shoot for free on Friday as my next job is near hunting land with a public range. Also just wasnt my place to say anything I suppose. Also he was with his son with him and it did appear like he was keeping it on paper.

The thing that got me was I was never informed about this. I mean I wouldnt shoot as fast as this guy was but it would of been nice to know. I guess the old saying applies. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never could understand the 'why' of the one-shot-every-however many seconds rule. When I qualified as a PI, weshot so many rounds off in so long a time, including reloading. So it was bound to be rapid fire.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not one to report things but when I left I informed the guy at the counter that someone was doing this and he said "Well it says on the signs not to but as long as you keep it on paper we dont really care." I then asked him how he knew if they were keeping it on the paper as there was no one watching the range and he kind of just ignored my comment. Shrugged and laughed it off.
The problem with not following the posted rules, is that you may get different responses from different employees.

Well, that... and they're still covered if you make a boo-boo. :drunk2:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never understood the 'how fast can you unload' mentality. My shooting has always been based more on accuracy rather than on speed. Am I missing something here? Is the new thinking all about how fast you can burn through rounds, now?

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There is a sweet spot of combined accuracy and how quickly you can shoot. Some are much better at it than others. If he was safe and keeping his rounds on target it’s his ammo he’s using. I know some shooters that are much faster than I am and their targets still look better than mine. That being said, if the range has rules and doesn’t enforce them, that’s a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the guy, and don't know the situation, but I like to shoot fast. That's the gun games I play on weekends. Shooting fast as possible as accurately as possible. Learning those skills will make one a better shooter if you need to shoot like that for real.
The last time I was in Wilshire, it was just the wife and I in the pistol bay renting guns for her to try before buy.
A Range safety guy came in and asked that we not hand guns off hand to hand, but to put it down on the table first, allowing the other person to pick it up from the table. I assumed at that point they had cameras in there to watch what was going on.
If the guy wasn't doing anything unsafe they may not have had an issue with his trigger speed. I certainly wouldn't shoot at a range that only allowed one shot a second or something like that.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand some parts of rapid fire due to the multiple sound waves compressing (more shots makes it louder) but when a range has full auto rental the point is moot.

I like to shoot fast with my pistols, I think that is part of the way things work to me the name of the game is as many holes in paper as fast as I can. I regularly shoot double and triple tap drills. Rifle is more about aiming and should take longer, the name of the game is accuracy. Shotgun pretty much just hurts anymore so no need to shoot a lot or fast.

With that said I had a free visit to Wilshire and while I was there someone came in with a full auto rental and I think it was a 308. Anyway long story short they couldn't keep the muzzle down and put a couple rounds into the ceiling. The RSO with them didn't even seem to notice but it is probably all a per weapon/person type of thing at most ranges. If you are unsafe they will enforce the rules.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand some parts of rapid fire due to the multiple sound waves compressing (more shots makes it louder) but when a range has full auto rental the point is moot.

I like to shoot fast with my pistols, I think that is part of the way things work to me the name of the game is as many holes in paper as fast as I can. I regularly shoot double and triple tap drills. Rifle is more about aiming and should take longer, the name of the game is accuracy. Shotgun pretty much just hurts anymore so no need to shoot a lot or fast.

With that said I had a free visit to Wilshire and while I was there someone came in with a full auto rental and I think it was a 308. Anyway long story short they couldn't keep the muzzle down and put a couple rounds into the ceiling. The RSO with them didn't even seem to notice but it is probably all a per weapon/person type of thing at most ranges. If you are unsafe they will enforce the rules.
RSOs really dont pay attention that well there. One of the guys at the range desk his head is full of air. Tell him stuff and he acts like Im not saying anything. I said my target runner wasnt working and he said "You have to push the button" I was like no **** sherlock...

I have a love hate with that place. I mostly enjoy it but somethings could be improved.

Oh yeah, difference between shooting fast and shooting all over the place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom