Wilshire Gun CCW Free Safe Competition, thoughts on it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went tonight and there was a large crowd there. It was pretty fun, a bit long and a low round count but it sparked my interest in doing competitions. I think Id like to do more.
Get into Steel Challenge. It's the easiest competition to get started in. The OKC Gun club puts on a Steel Challenge match on the 3rd saturday of the month. You don't have to be a member of the OKCGC to shoot the match.
When you get there, you will go through a first time shooter orientation and be assigned to a squad.
When the squad knows you're a first timer, you will go to the bottom of the shooting list so you can see everybody shoot before you and get an idea what you need to do.
You can shoot .22 rimfire pistol, .22 rifle, PCC, or centerfire pistol.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on trying Steel challenge. I think you will see the Wilshire CCW evolve into a pretty good weeknight match. There are a few things that could be done to add round count and speed it up. They were green, but there were a couple of decent stages. A lot of potential there.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on trying Steel challenge. I think you will see the Wilshire CCW evolve into a pretty good weeknight match. There are a few things that could be done to add round count and speed it up. They were green, but there were a couple of decent stages. A lot of potential there.
I thought I did alright, got 6th or 7th I didnt expect anything though. I will say I didnt push my self as hard as I should have, I was kind of nervous and I lack rounds down range going fast. Idk I felt slow but that may have been the nerves. I felt more comfortable after getting into it. After I got the gun out I knew I could do everything after that.

As far as the match yeah felt like a first time running a match. I just dont know what took one of the groups sooo long. It didnt seem like it should have lasted more than an hour and a half with those short stages. I have nothing to compare it to though. All and all I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I did alright, got 6th or 7th I didnt expect anything though. I will say I didnt push my self as hard as I should have, I was kind of nervous and I lack rounds down range going fast. Idk I felt slow but that may have been the nerves. I felt more comfortable after getting into it. After I got the gun out I knew I could do everything after that.

As far as the match yeah felt like a first time running a match. I just dont know what took one of the groups sooo long. It didnt seem like it should have lasted more than an hour and a half with those short stages. I have nothing to compare it to though. All and all I really enjoyed it.

It looks like you did well. I dumped a few seconds I shouldn't have and had a couple of shots out of the A zone. I need to work on my concealed draw so more.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can get them to use Practiscore. I think it would have saved quite a bit of time during the match. The errors would have been validated at the time, procedures violations correctly scored, we would have had results in about 5 minutes, and the scores would have been posted. Maybe I can get them to build this match into it to post. It's good to see the details.

Latest posts

Top Bottom