Winches - you get what you pay for!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed when changing my Badlands from cable to rope they included a non roller fairlead with the rope. I suspect it's so when the rope gets a load on it and becomes significantly smaller, it won't pinch between the rollers in the little gap?

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I've had this Warner for over twenty years and haven't used it very much. I need to replace the cable because it has a kink in it. I had planned to go with the rope but, now I'm not sure after reading the drawbacks. The truck isn't driven much and stays inside.

Attachments

• 1996 Discovery.JPG
    1996 Discovery.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I've had this Warner for over twenty years and haven't used it very much. I need to replace the cable because it has a kink in it. I had planned to go with the rope but, now I'm not sure after reading the drawbacks. The truck isn't driven much and stays inside.
I would be very careful with a wire rope that is damaged. The reduction in load rating is dramatic.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have noticed when changing my Badlands from cable to rope they included a non roller fairlead with the rope. I suspect it's so when the rope gets a load on it and becomes significantly smaller, it won't pinch between the rollers in the little gap?
That is likely some of the issue, but the one piece hawse type fairleads are cheaper to manufacture, smaller and lighter since most are aluminum. Some winches with wire rope came with a cast iron hawse fairlead too.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted these before. These are safer than the steel D ring shackles and a lot more convenient. I made these myself.

1680140945250.jpeg

1680140970075.jpeg

This is a video of this shackle stalling my hydraulic tube bender. This bender can bend 2” schedule 40 with ease.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am addicted to watching Matt’s Off Road Recovery, and Fab Rats on YouTube. They are exclusively using the 12,000lb badlands winches and mainly upgrading them to freedom or yankum synthetic winch lines and faileads. If you think you will abuse a winch more than these guys maybe a warn is needed for you. Otherwise I would say this is one thing harbor freight got right. Then only complaint I really ever heard from them is Matt has one winch that the frequency from his wireless remote jams the signal to his sons badlands winch. So when they winch together they have to winch one and then the other back and forth, can’t go 2 at the same time. And his new build the heavy off-road wrecker utilizes 7 of these badlands winches to work the boom and everything else

Latest posts

Top Bottom