Winchester Model 100 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used the same load in 6 different .308 rifles.. one was a semi auto.

They all would shoot 3 shots under 1" some in the under 3/4"

That bullet is the 165 Game king HPBT.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2140/308-dia-165-gr-HPBT

Winchester or Lapua cases gave me best accuracy. Remington cases are second.

The load is Varget powder and CCI 200 primers 41.7-43 gr .. I would try 42 grains first. Vary the load by 1/2 grain steps and shoot for groups.

OAL of the loaded round in all rifles tested was 2.680"

Can't pin down a specific charge weight with Varget as Lot numbers that I have all liked something different. So if you get Varget get plenty of it with the same lot numbers.
I use it with other 165 and 168gr bullets.
A couple more loads I found or components that work well together.
8208XBR and the 155 gr works very well.

A 150 gr flat base or boat tail works real good with 45gr BL-C(2)
It was my 50 yard squirrel load with a flat base bullet.. ragged hole at 50 yards.. in the 3/4" at 100 area.
You can substitute IMR 4064 for Varget and use the same amount 42-43.5 with 165gr works very well.. sometimes out shooting the varget loads.
All these loads show below Max in Lyman 49th. But consult your load books.

Of course this is not the model 100 semi auto.
But a few .308 rifles liked these loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were closer I would let you shoot some of my loads and see if they worked.
I drive 74 miles 1 way to shoot at a buddies place 500+ yards.
Sucks to take loads that do not work.. But I make a day of it..I have even reloaded on sight.

If the crown on the rifle is worn .. I have found Flat base bullets are more forgiving in that instance.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of those in .308 - used one quite a bit in SE Oklahoma. Assuming you use it for hunting deer in the woods - my strategy was a medium burn rate powder with a 170 grain bullet designed for a .30-30 with a thin jacket @ about 2500 fps. Great results on whitetail deer, pretty accurate, and respects the age & design of the rifle. It's important to keep the chamber clean because the extractor can be pretty fragile.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom