Winchester Model 42 .410

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Winchester Model 42 pump. Unfortunately, the previous owner let it rust quite a bit, unintentionally, by keeping it wrapped in a blanket for 30yrs. I am in the process of looking for a spare barrel to shoot it with, while keeping the original barrel slathered in oil to prevent further rust.

Anyone know where I might find a spare barrel?? Talk about a long shot here. Also, any insight about the shotty is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
These are damn fine shotguns.

I have one(shooter grade) that my great grandfather passed down to me on my birthday in the year of our nation's bicentennial. He purchased it in 1940. It was his well loved small game shotty that spent plenty of time in the field and has all the "character" that goes along with it.

I haven't shot it in at least 5 or 6 years, but I bet it'd still shoot. It has little or no market value in it's aesthetic condition(Grendad took a engraver to the receiver and basically signed it like a birthday card card to me) on the market, but it's gotta be my most prized possession.

Priceless to me.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Btw, this Model 42 has to be the sexiest shotgun ever!!!

17738417_3.jpg

17738417_4.jpg

17738417_2.jpg

17738417_1.jpg

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have one my wife bought for me a few years ago to replace the one I had stolen. I'm going to give it to my son when he is old enough.

Could never afford a Winchester 42, but was able to get my hands on a Savage 30E, modified choke, ribbed 26" barrel with double bead, and factory installed recoil pad. Nothing really fancy but some nice pressed engraving, and hand cut checkering. A fun little shotgun. She's been well taken care of since I first got her many years ago.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas023.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas034.jpg

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LDP -
You've got me thinking about a cheap 410 pump gun.
I don't have the scratch for a Model 42, but a pump shotgun I wouldn't cry over that doesn't kick the snot out of me might be a re-introduction to get me back into scatterguns.
I wonder if the little Mossberg .410s are any good.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LDP -
You've got me thinking about a cheap 410 pump gun.
I don't have the scratch for a Model 42, but a pump shotgun I wouldn't cry over that doesn't kick the snot out of me might be a re-introduction to get me back into scatterguns.
I wonder if the little Mossberg .410s are any good.

I had one of those for a few years, and have no complaints. My son already had his so I gave mine to my nephew who's been doing a pretty good job taking care of the dove population in Georgia.

Depending on what you want to us her for, its easy to set her up for hunting, house gun, or truck/UV gun. These little .410's loaded up with the new personal defensive loads can do some really nice work out to 25/30 yards throwing some very tight patterns of buckshot. If you can get her with multi-choke's, or a fixed "modified" choke, the little .410's shoot some really nice bird patterns too.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 500 and a 870Express in .410. Great guns and pure fun on rabbits and squirrel. Even use them occasionally on dove and quail. A real challenge.

Get ya one and have some fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom