Winter weather and wildlife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any meat on cranes? I figured they were like these gray herrings , all feather and neck.

About the best wild game I've eaten, I'll put it right there with elk and caribou steaks. Those two huge chunks center right are cranes, doves below, ducks above, pork loins on the left.

1541693751_photobucket_48885_.jpg

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an invasion of seagulls east of kaw lake around apperson and Shidler. When I say 100,000s of them it could be even more. The birds have figured out that cattle cubes-we call it cake- is rather tasty and the sound of a feed truck siren or horn means time to eat.. They sit on the ice or float around and wait. As soon as the first siren is heard they find the location and start circling. As soon as the first cubes hit the ground they are picking it up. Several rancher have told me that these birds can clean up a ton of feed as fast as they can dump it and the cattle aren't able to eat.
Seagulls are a protected bird which is news to me and everyone else. This valuable information was learned after a few people got tired of the damn birds eating $1,000s of dollars worth of feed every day.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is an invasion of seagulls east of kaw lake around apperson and Shidler. When I say 100,000s of them it could be even more. The birds have figured out that cattle cubes-we call it cake- is rather tasty and the sound of a feed truck siren or horn means time to eat.. They sit on the ice or float around and wait. As soon as the first siren is heard they find the location and start circling. As soon as the first cubes hit the ground they are picking it up. Several rancher have told me that these birds can clean up a ton of feed as fast as they can dump it and the cattle aren't able to eat.
Seagulls are a protected bird which is news to me and everyone else. This valuable information was learned after a few people got tired of the damn birds eating $1,000s of dollars worth of feed every day.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Amazing how birds can associate sounds with food.
When elk hunting in NM, we leave huge gut piles when field dressing the animals. Leaving the scene and coming back an hour or two later with recovery gear, there is nothing left but the stomach contents. Birds clean it all up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom