Wood cutting and splitting Homemade Big tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as easy as these things work you could home make them.
I was looking at different videos for wood splitting and seen these.

Yea the language if nothing I speak but all I need are pictures anyway and get the gist of it.

Enjoy the videos and I hope it makes you get out and build something fun to play with.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The coolest splitter I have seen in a video was one where you could whack a log off to length and it would drop into the split area and then take a log and split it into multiple sections in one go.

It was similar to this but home made and lifted an entire 10 foot log that would be cut and drop in to the splitter.

But have to agree that some wood just would not work in that thing. Deal with some stringy crap when I was 16. Would have to run the ram all the way out and then flip it over to get it to split through. That stuff burned long and hot though. My mother's boyfriend wore a blister on his hand working the ram all day for two weeks while I lifted and tossed the logs though. Left 5 or 6 piles of would ten or twelve feet high and probably twice that across in the yard though. House was pretty much all wood heat at that point except for a little propane heater on a porch and one the size of a console tv inside on the main floor. House was four bedrooms upstairs, kitchen, dining, sitting, and bedroom on the main floor with a half basement. Probably around 60X60 square farmhouse.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those splitters are cool but let them try to split some hickory or elm with it. Even a tough post oak. Looked liked they were splitting ash.
That's pretty much what I think every time I see one of these vids. "Yea, let them try that with some post oak, bodark or elm, it'll laugh at them".

It could be ash they are spitting, it splits pretty easy and it's very pale like that. But I'm thinking beech or aspen though.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as easy as these things work you could home make them.
I was looking at different videos for wood splitting and seen these.

Yea the language if nothing I speak but all I need are pictures anyway and get the gist of it.

Enjoy the videos and I hope it makes you get out and build something fun to play with.

My personal fave lol

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a badass machine made by a small company in America.

The one I saw was similar to that but home made. No outfeed conveyor and the lift mechanism was an arm hooked up to a winch. Probably a Russian or somewhere around that area. Ran off a four cylinder car engine but looked like a beast.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
627px-autopx-scale-to-width-down.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom