Word of advice for the day.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
border collie.jpg

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a foal the mom rejected. It lived in the house with us for a month or so. That danged thing would come in the house every chance it got, even when it was full-grown. You better not leave the patio door open and unattended. She could hear that door open and come running at a pretty decent trot from the back of the property. Us kids thought it was funny -- my mom, not so much.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of our herefords birthed a dwarf one spring during my early teen years. The little man was left for dead by the momma. I bottle fed the dwarf calf for a year, and in the process came up with a friend that followed me as close as my dog. In those days we had no air conditioning, so our windows were opened at night. Many a night the calf would sleep on the porch outside of my window.

He died around age two, and it was a sad time on the farm for quite a spell.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad had a heifer that rejected her first calf when I was around 10 or 12. He told me if I could keep it alive, we'd split the price when he sold it.

We didn't have a bottle at first, so I wrangled an old rubber glove from Mom, and poked a hole in one finger.

I wanted to get something in it pretty quick (it was too weak to stand by the time Dad gave up on the heifer accepting it), so I just put milk in the glove and took it to the calf.

It took to the rubber glove right quick, but those of you familiar with cattle can probably guess what happened next.

Baby calves come here knowing how to punch momma's bag with their nose to encourage her milk to come down. So after it nursed the glove a couple minutes, it punched the glove and I wound up wearing the rest of the milk.

We got a nursing bottle at the feed store soon after, and I managed to keep it alive until it was able to eat solid food. 6 months or so later, it brought $70 at the sale, and Dad gave me $35 (he even paid the commision).

Lol, I thought I was rich. :D

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad had a heifer that rejected her first calf when I was around 10 or 12. He told me if I could keep it alive, we'd split the price when he sold it.

We didn't have a bottle at first, so I wrangled an old rubber glove from Mom, and poked a hole in one finger.

I wanted to get something in it pretty quick (it was too weak to stand by the time Dad gave up on the heifer accepting it), so I just put milk in the glove and took it to the calf.

It took to the rubber glove right quick, but those of you familiar with cattle can probably guess what happened next.

Baby calves come here knowing how to punch momma's bag with their nose to encourage her milk to come down. So after it nursed the glove a couple minutes, it punched the glove and I wound up wearing the rest of the milk.

We got a nursing bottle at the feed store soon after, and I managed to keep it alive until it was able to eat solid food. 6 months or so later, it brought $70 at the sale, and Dad gave me $35 (he even paid the commision).

Lol, I thought I was rich. :D

I started Little Man on a calf bottle and then the calfteria bucket with a teat until he was a year or so old. After that, he loved sweet feed and small amounts of hay. Little Man must have thought he was a dog due to my dog always being around. None of the other cattle had anything to do with him. He was quite the sight to behold, with short legs, a pot belly, and about 45" in length from butt to snout. I guess the three of us was rather a motley crew around the farm....especially going fishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom