Worlds largest Sporting Goods store opens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are their prices any better than Bass Pro? Just curious if anyone knows, since several have been to other stores of theirs.

I remember people were excited about Gander Mountain opening in Tulsa. I stopped in the one down in TX - somewhere like Sherman/Denison area? I dunno, anyways I spent about 20 minutes wandering around looking at stuff and everything I saw seemed pretty overpriced to me... I left without buying so much as a stick of gum. Then the one in Tulsa didn't last 6 months did it? Man some developer lost their ass on that deal...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best I remember the one in Tulsa was probably open 2-3 years, but I was never impressed with their prices. When they started the going-out-of-business sale process, they had to mark guns down 15% before they even got competitive, and it didn't really get interesting until they got to + 30% or so. I did score some good deals on a couple of guns, a reloading press, and probably more large pistol primers than I'll ever use.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you were right. I just looked it up, they were open from March 2015 till May 2017. They were bought out by Camping World and closed ALL of their stores.

Just goes to show how perceptions are way off. I was under the impression they only closed the Tulsa location, and I figured it was their high prices. But they had grown to 126 stores nationwide somehow, then sold to a bigger company. Someone got rich in the process. And here I am still struggling to pay my bills, so I guess whoever came up with their business model was smarter than me.

Oh well. Cheerio.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you were right.
You say that like I'm not ALWAYS right.... :pms2:

I think they were already in the process of closing the Tulsa store when Camping World bought them, but I'm not sure that's right. Their going-out-of-business sale, it seems like, went on for six months or so but could have been more like three or four.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty cool place. I’ll be making the trip then hitting my normal Cabelas spot in Allen on the way back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom