Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec

• Absoutley

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • I would rather have a pocket full of rocks

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned several and they have all been fine. One P11 I bought from a friend who didn't like it and had problems with it. The only thing I saw was a cosmetic flaw with the gun and I got a new part for free and he had an aftermarker mag. I'm thinking operator error from him plus crappy mag. Keltecs can be a handful to shoot and are not for everyone. All manufactures will have a problem gun from time to time and keltecs will too. Don't buy any gun without reviewing it or shooting one first if possible. My P3at looks like crap from being carried so much but it works. It needs to visit Honeybee for slide plating or refinishing.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive sold about 100 KelTecs the past year. Returned 4 on the lifetime warranty.

(3 P3ATs' and 1 P-11)

I open carry a P-11 at home. It stays under my matress when I sleep.

The thing with KelTecs, and carring them is. You MUST keep them clean. Too much pocket lint spells failure.

Pop the slide off once a week and hit the grip with compressed air, and a tad of oil.

It will fail on you if you don't

I voted yes. I trust my life to KelTec everyday, and every night.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
It would be all heck out of a sharp stick.

I've only shot 2 Kel-tecs, one in .32 and the other was a 9mm. Both of them went bang every time I pulled the trigger but probably only about 50 rds through each of them.
The 9mm was kind of interesting though. A friend of mine brought a new shooter to my place to shoot it. The new shooter would have a malf every other round or 2. MY buddy and me could empty a magazine every time with no problems. We put about 250 rounds through it that day and finally got the new shooter where he wasn't having any problem with it.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like he was limp wristing it, just one of the reasons they get a bad rep. if you let your wrists be loose the pistol might loose enough energy not to chamber the next round...

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive sold about 100 KelTecs the past year. Returned 4 on the lifetime warranty.

(3 P3ATs' and 1 P-11)

I open carry a P-11 at home. It stays under my matress when I sleep.

The thing with KelTecs, and carring them is. You MUST keep them clean. Too much pocket lint spells failure.

Pop the slide off once a week and hit the grip with compressed air, and a tad of oil.

It will fail on you if you don't

I voted yes. I trust my life to KelTec everyday, and every night.

I agree. I was at the range one time when a guy was shooting a Glock 23 that kept jamming. He was telling me that it was the biggest POS he ever had. When I looked at it, it looked like it had about 10 years of gunk build up. It never crossed his mind to clean it, I guess. I have had good luck with mine. I am going to try to go put about 50 through it tomorrow. I did put a steel guide rod in mine, but thats it. I would not trust my life 100% to any gun. I know alot of people and LEOs who swear by Keltecs. I think alot of guns get a bad name from people who are bad shooters.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Keltec PF9 for my personal carry weapon. I researched Keltec pretty extensively before purchasing and I heard both positive and negative. I agree with most of the posts here that if you take care of the gun then it will take care of you when it comes time to use it.

I carry it in a Crossbreed Mini Tuck and it conceals brilliantly.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone who has been around guns, whether it be as a gunsmith, retail or just plain shooter, realizes that any gun, no matter who the manufacturer is, will break, jam or fail to eject.
I voted yes.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a PF9 the other day, nice green cerakote finish on the slide. I'll do a little polishing here and there and proceed to shooting several hundred rounds thru it before I carry it. All the keltecs I have or have had, have worked. Like posted above, most problems are probably operator error with a few lemons in the mix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom