Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec

• Absoutley

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • I would rather have a pocket full of rocks

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a tool, like any other gun. You treat it well, maintain it properly, fire it often enough to be proficient with it, there should be no problem. If I have a gun that is having FTE or FTF issues or is just plain unreliable, it gets dumped.

I've never owned a Kel-Tec, but if I did, as long as I was comfortable with its performance, yes, I would depend on it.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would prefer to use something that I feel more comfortable with but if it was what I had available I would indeed bet my life on it.

Michael

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Haven't lubed my Keltec pf9 or cleaned it for many range trips. I used it at the Heartland Carry match last Sunday and with factory FMJ ammo it never missed a beat in any form or fashion.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just bought a Kel-Tec Pf-9 today. Brand new. Inspected it when i got home....
Found this...
1. Front sight post laying in the box (not on the slide!)
2. At first there was a white dot in the front sight..fell out or somehow magically disappeared within an hour
3. Firing pin stuck back, then dropped hammer...now its stuck forward...slamfire or full auto waiting to happen.
4. barrel would not line up to the slide release pin to reinstall.Had to use excessive force to line it up.

i mind you, this is a brand new gun i bought A FEW HOURS AGO. I have not nor has anyone else shot it. I just emailed Kel-Tec, lets see how they respond.
And as far as the OP's original question, NO...I would NOT bet my life on it.

Not that it matters where it came from, but it was bought locally in OKC area.\

Note: What really gets me if the expected service life of the keltec is 6,000 rounds... (Keltec website FAQ)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a Kel-Tec Pf-9 today. Brand new. Inspected it when i got home....
Found this...
1. Front sight post laying in the box (not on the slide!)
2. At first there was a white dot in the front sight..fell out or somehow magically disappeared within an hour
3. Firing pin stuck back, then dropped hammer...now its stuck forward...slamfire or full auto waiting to happen.
4. barrel would not line up to the slide release pin to reinstall.Had to use excessive force to line it up.

i mind you, this is a brand new gun i bought A FEW HOURS AGO. I have not nor has anyone else shot it. I just emailed Kel-Tec, lets see how they respond.
And as far as the OP's original question, NO...I would NOT bet my life on it.

Not that it matters where it came from, but it was bought locally in OKC area.\

Note: What really gets me if the expected service life of the keltec is 6,000 rounds... (Keltec website FAQ)

I betcha look in the box first before you walk out the door next time, huh?

Last edited:

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I betcha look in the box first before you walk out the door next time, huh?

Yes I certainly will. The point is, KelTec has some major quality control issues. Im not sure if fixing it or getting a new one will remedy the feeling of doubt that will always shadow the Keltec name for me. Ill probably just accept a new one and put it through hell to see how it will hold up. With LOW expectations ofcourse.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I certainly will. The point is, KelTec has some major quality control issues. Im not sure if fixing it or getting a new one will remedy the feeling of doubt that will always shadow the Keltec name for me. Ill probably just accept a new one and put it through hell to see how it will hold up. With LOW expectations ofcourse.

Sorry you got a bad gun. They are not all like that, I assure you.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They responded today, emailing me a shipping label and they will replace it with a new one and test fire it with my choice of ammo to ensure function.
Still iffy on it, but I am glad i wasnt blown off... So far I give them an A for effort.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They responded today, emailing me a shipping label and they will replace it with a new one and test fire it with my choice of ammo to ensure function.
Still iffy on it, but I am glad i wasnt blown off... So far I give them an A for effort.

This is good. KelTec has great service.

I really think you will be suprised with your new gun.

I function check every weapon before I sell it. I wish more dealers would do the same.

Come back, and let us know how the replacement works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom