Would you buy Baofeng ham radios customized with your area frequencies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to get one, I would recommend getting the dual band that covers both VHF and UHF. You will need to be careful about what frequencies that you transmit on as it will let you get out of the amateur frequencies.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the UV-82x a while back so I would have an inexpensive 144/220 HT to have in the truck. The radio has a reverse SMA connector, so I have to make a custom cable to go to PL259 to connect to my roof mounted antenna. It does what it advertises and has no problem keying up a repeater and puts out a few hundred mW shy of the advertised 5W. With Chirp, anyone can easily program the radio - though it is a royal pain to modify anything from the radio itself. The receiver isn't that great but good enough for FM repeaters, though if Baofeng made a SSB HF rig I don't see myself ordering one. I do have an Icom IC207H I usually use, but it lacked 220, hence the need for the Baofeng.

Reaction score
I bought a UV5R a while back and haven't done anything with it yet. Need to download Chirp and get the thing programmed. In regards to your question, I personally wouldn't pay someone to program my radio, as I want to know how to do it myself so that I am familiar with the rig.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a pair of BAOFENG UV82's and and I have to admit , the user manual Sucks! I am currently studying to get a ham license and still scratch my head when trying to program this d**ned thing ! It works great as FRS/GMRS radio for us dummies but I would like to be able to tune in local traffic so I can listen and learn. Maybe I should use the the ol scanner instead ???

I really need to find a club / Elmer to help educate this dummy. Any takers ?..lol !

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you are supposed to have a GMRS site licenses before transmitting on those frequencies. I also suspect that the radio is transmitting with more power than the regs allow on the FRS frequencies. You really need to read up on the regs before transmitting with that radio. It will also transmit on frequencies that are restricted. I would recommend getting the programing cable and software. It will make it a lot easier to set up the memories. You might want to join a radio club and attend the meetings. Most clubs also offer courses for the license test and give the test. A starting point would be http://www.arrl.org. You can search for clubs in your area.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol....I understand. I have no desire to be a careless pirate so to speak. I don't want people to muddy things up either. I really would like to get my ticket. I'm just a do'er. I learn better listening and hands on than I do just reading.
Gotta go back to work.
73's !

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got my ticket last month. I bought the ARRL study guide from Amazon and studied it for month and listened on my handheld. I also attended the Aeronautical Center Radio Club meetings and got to meet and talk to some of the old timers. I did not find it very hard to pass the technical and in fact I took the general test the same night and passed it as well. I did study some electronics back in the 70's and 80's, but had forgotten a lot of it. I do think that did help pass the general test. The main thing is that I studied the information, not just the questions and answers. You can learn a lot more that way. I also have the disadvantage of being older and the brain is not quite as quick at learning as it used to be.

Good luck with getting your ticket.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my ticket last month. I bought the ARRL study guide from Amazon and studied it for month and listened on my handheld. I also attended the Aeronautical Center Radio Club meetings and got to meet and talk to some of the old timers. I did not find it very hard to pass the technical and in fact I took the general test the same night and passed it as well. I did study some electronics back in the 70's and 80's, but had forgotten a lot of it. I do think that did help pass the general test. The main thing is that I studied the information, not just the questions and answers. You can learn a lot more that way. I also have the disadvantage of being older and the brain is not quite as quick at learning as it used to be.

Good luck with getting your ticket.

Congradulations. WB5Y

Latest posts

Top Bottom