Would You consider a registered mg an investment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fun toy? Absolutely, yes!

Investment? Absolutely not.

If and when the legalities of the NFA ever get challenged you can bet your ass that every idiot with more money than sense will be fighting tooth and nail to keep the laws the way they are. If the NFA gets overturned and/or the registry is open for new guns their multi-thousand dollar 'investments' become nearly worthless in the stroke of a pen. You can bet people with 10-250k or more wrapped up in this sort of thing will do nearly anything to keep that from happening.

Will there be exceptions to that rule? Of course but make no mistake it will be the rule.

Ek

While i do agree with you that there will be some MG owners who would not want to loose the money they paid for their guns, I actually believe they would be the minority. I know at least a dozen MG owners (myself included) and I do not think any of us would give up the chance to buy new, cheap MG's just to protect what we have invested in our current ones. YMMV

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If and when the legalities of the NFA ever get challenged you can bet your ass that every idiot with more money than sense will be fighting tooth and nail to keep the laws the way they are. If the NFA gets overturned and/or the registry is open for new guns their multi-thousand dollar 'investments' become nearly worthless in the stroke of a pen. You can bet people with 10-250k or more wrapped up in this sort of thing will do nearly anything to keep that from happening.

Well, first off, most people in Class III have at least close to the 10K mark invested.
Even if they bought their guns before they went up in value, most Class III owners look at the value of their guns in these cases.

The entry level M11 is around 3K, entry level Uzi is around 6.5K. So I would think that the "average" comes in close to 10.

Even if every single Class III firearm was owned by a different person, that would only come out to around 200,000 people.
I don't think that the want and worries of 200,000 people would overrule or overwhelm a court decision on reinstating Class III firearms to civilians.
Some people would lose a considerable amount of money/value, but most of us don't buy these things as investments.

Dave

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a member here with several hundred thousand wrapped up in MGs and he's told me several times that he'd be happy to see the MG ban overturned. I also don't believe he sees them as an investment either. Just fun toys.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With this in mind,

Even if every single Class III firearm was owned by a different person, that would only come out to around 200,000 people.

I would have to think that there is a possibility of significant return in the long term. Provided that........The registry is left alone and stands as is. There are always going to be people with the means and desire so selling isn't going to be a problem. The risk comes from both ends of the spectrum. The possibility of the registry being opened back up and the direction of the courts and our government. I view it no different than buying a stock. Don't buy it if you can't afford to lose it. I mean really. If you buy a stock it can go away in a week. If you have money but can't risk it, why is buying a stock even an option over stashing it in a savings account? This is really no different. Seems like a safe bet currently...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With this in mind,

I would have to think that there is a possibility of significant return in the long term. Provided that........The registry is left alone and stands as is. There are always going to be people with the means and desire so selling isn't going to be a problem. The risk comes from both ends of the spectrum. The possibility of the registry being opened back up and the direction of the courts and our government. I view it no different than buying a stock. Don't buy it if you can't afford to lose it. I mean really. If you buy a stock it can go away in a week. If you have money but can't risk it, why is buying a stock even an option over stashing it in a savings account? This is really no different. Seems like a safe bet currently...

This. With the exception of a couple of amnestys and technical "adjustments" for certain firearms, the NFA registry has been stable since 1934. I don't see the Dems having enough power to challenge it and I'm not sure they would bother. They still remember the shellacking they took over the AWB when Clinton was at the helm. Likewise, I don't see the Republicans opening it up either. The NRA was all too willing to throw MG owners under the bus for the 86 FOPA. They don't seem to have any more interest in NFA than they did back then. There's no real upside for either party to tinker with it. Some cans are best left unopened.

I only have one MG, but it was 13K. I'd rather loose the value on it in trade for new MG's at true market value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom