Would you have stopped and helped?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/man-stops-to-help...ticle/3679642?custom_click=pod_headline_crime

Man stops to help woman, is instead robbed in Oklahoma City

A man and woman were picked up a short time after the robbery early Saturday.

A man who stopped his car to help a woman was robbed by her and an accomplice, Oklahoma City police said Tuesday.

Man stops to help woman, is instead robbed in Oklahoma City The victim, 27, was driving south about 2:40 a.m. Saturday on the Interstate 35 Service Road near SE 29 when he saw a woman waving her hands, according to a police report.

He stopped and asked if she needed help, police said. A man appeared and grabbed the passenger side door, pointing a gun at the driver and demanding money.

The victim threw a $20 bill toward his robber and said that's all he had.

The male robber next told the victim to get out of the car. When the victim refused, the robber moved to the front of the vehicle and fired a shot into the hood.

The victim sped off and called 911, police said.

Police picked up a man and woman walking in the 3500 block of the service road a short time later.

The man had a gun and a $20 bill, police said.

Jeffrey Joaquin Townley, 29, was arrested on complaints of robbery with a firearm, pointing a firearm and possession of a firearm.

Cheyenne Blue McDaniels, 20, was arrested on a complaint of robbery with a firearm.

Both remained in Oklahoma County jail Tuesday, a jail official said.

cdn2.newsok.biz_cache_r620_91ccf2476de98514b2292222e98fbb42.jpg

cdn2.newsok.biz_cache_r620_176c7bf1d54f0c84ba44993abfca4f59.jpg

46and2

I would never stop to help anyone. My cousin was stabbed multiple times by some people he stopped to help and it has made me paranoid every since. He lived, but it was bad. If the accident looks bad or something, I'll pull out my phone and call for help. That's as far as I'll go. It sounds cruel and heartless, but that's what I think.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never stop to help anyone. My cousin was stabbed multiple times by some people he stopped to help and it has made me paranoid every since. He lived, but it was bad. If the accident looks bad or something, I'll pull out my phone and call for help. That's as far as I'll go. It sounds cruel and heartless, but that's what I think.

Roger Dale Stafford used Verna Stafford to flag down the Lorenz family for help along I-35 near Purcell. Then Roger came out of hiding and killed the entire family. That happened when I was a teenager and I decided right then that I would not stop and help anyone along the highway unless other people were already stopped first. Since then, I either carried a shotgun or pistol in my car/truck anytime I travelled the highway.

T

TheMcs

I used to stop and help all the time. Probably because I'd get stuck on the side of the road too often. (best fix involved a loose lower radiator hose, a chisel, and a cow pond)
A while back my wife convinced me to stop, because of stories like above. I mostly did, except for the last time. After work, close to home, stopped to see what was wrong. I gave the guy a lift to QT for gas, and a ride back. On the ride back we see that a cop is at his vehicle. He said he has an unpaid ticket, asks if I can drop him off about a 1/4 mile from the car. I didn't want to get involved any further, so I did.
While driving we were shooting the breeze, found out he worked at a place my buddy did. Later asked my buddy about him, find out he's all kinds of trouble. Drugs, theft, assault, etc. That was the last time I stop to help. Not worth it.
If it's dark or desolate, I'll call OHP, that's it.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not out at that time. If I was I would keep on going. Now if it was a woman with kids, I would help but cautiously.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to stop and help all the time. Probably because I'd get stuck on the side of the road too often. (best fix involved a loose lower radiator hose, a chisel, and a cow pond)
A while back my wife convinced me to stop, because of stories like above. I mostly did, except for the last time. After work, close to home, stopped to see what was wrong. I gave the guy a lift to QT for gas, and a ride back. On the ride back we see that a cop is at his vehicle. He said he has an unpaid ticket, asks if I can drop him off about a 1/4 mile from the car. I didn't want to get involved any further, so I did.
While driving we were shooting the breeze, found out he worked at a place my buddy did. Later asked my buddy about him, find out he's all kinds of trouble. Drugs, theft, assault, etc. That was the last time I stop to help. Not worth it.
If it's dark or desolate, I'll call OHP, that's it.

Something similar happeed to me a coupe of years ago on Thanksgiving. An older woman with a cane is standing beside her car with the flashers on. I stop and she says she needs enough gas to get about 10 miles. I said okay, hop in and we will go get gas. When we get back, there is a police car behind her car. So she tells me to drive on because she does not have a drivers license and the tag on the car does not belong to that car. So I take her home and pick up her brother and take him back to the car. As we drive up, there is a wrecker pulling up. The brother is convinced that he can talk the police out of towing the car. I let him out of my truck and wish him luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom