Would you let your Wife CC a .22 pistol? (Educated opinions only please)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 22s misfiring is a really good point. I go through alot of 22s and it doesnt seem to mater if its the cheep stuff or good stuff. Those dum dum duds are in there. There isnt alot, maybey around 1%- 2% out of 500 but enough to make you think is your loved ones life worth it. Now like others have said if she can put alot of rounds in the same spot real quick then its not a problem. That and if she can clear and reload quick in the event of a dud.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't meant to word it like I make her do anything, like if she doesn't carry what I say she can't carry. I should of said would you feel comfortable with her carrying one, instead of letting her carry one.

It's cool; we're for the most part just giving you your required ration of crap as a newbie to the forum. (Welcome by the way).

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not encourage my wife to carry a .22lr. If that were absolutely all she would carry, then I would encourage her to come to the range with me a lot, get lessons with some very good handgun instructors I know around the area (especially some lessons on managing unknown contacts), and maybe even shoot a match like steel challenge with her .22 for fun. I feel confident that 99% of women, given that level of exposure/instruction, would develop not only a willingness but a desire to move up in caliber.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not encourage anyone to carry a .22 as a primary defensive weapon. My "educated opinion" based on a career in the military, then law enforcement and over 35 years as an instructor. The rimfire ammo will have a much higher rate of misfires than any centerfire. All handgun calibers are inefficient fight stoppers, but the .22 is excessively so. Barring any severe medical/physical impairment women are very capable of becoming comfortable shooting much larger caliber weapons. I believe that too many men enforce a stereotype of the "weaker" sex being incapable of handling real fighting weapons. This is just wrong and really comes back to being a training issue. With proper training almost anyone can learn to shoot larger caliber weapons and to operate them quite proficiently. In almost every beginners class I have new shooters, male or female move up from .22s to shooting a .357 Magnum or a .45 ACP. You don't do it like the morons on the youtube videos that hand their girlfriend a .5oo and then stand back and giggle. You train properly, demonstrate, and assist as they develop the skills and ability to handle larger calibers.
The fac that you even asked the question makes me want to turn it around and ask: Would YOU carry a .22 pistol? Then neither should she!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only if that was the only gun she would carry. My wife has carried a Sig .380 for years. I kept telling her she should move up to something with better stopping power. She can shoot .45acp with no problems but, she chose to get a 9mm. We were in Va. for Thanksgiving and stopped by a Bass Pro Shop. I had her hold a Beretta Storm PX4 9mm Subcompact and she really liked it. She has a NIB one under the Christmas tree now. We hope to get out this weekend and shoot it.

B

Boos_TM

I would not encourage anyone to carry a .22 as a primary defensive weapon. My "educated opinion" based on a career in the military, then law enforcement and over 35 years as an instructor. The rimfire ammo will have a much higher rate of misfires than any centerfire. All handgun calibers are inefficient fight stoppers, but the .22 is excessively so. Barring any severe medical/physical impairment women are very capable of becoming comfortable shooting much larger caliber weapons. I believe that too many men enforce a stereotype of the "weaker" sex being incapable of handling real fighting weapons. This is just wrong and really comes back to being a training issue. With proper training almost anyone can learn to shoot larger caliber weapons and to operate them quite proficiently. In almost every beginners class I have new shooters, male or female move up from .22s to shooting a .357 Magnum or a .45 ACP. You don't do it like the morons on the youtube videos that hand their girlfriend a .5oo and then stand back and giggle. You train properly, demonstrate, and assist as they develop the skills and ability to handle larger calibers.
The fac that you even asked the question makes me want to turn it around and ask: Would YOU carry a .22 pistol? Then neither should she!

Thank you for the input! It is very appreciated...

B

Boos_TM

Oh, and I just wanted to explain the "educated opinions" part of the title. I probably should of put "helpful opinions"... I just didn't want a bunch of people coming in to just say that a .22 is like a BB gun, or you would have to throw the gun at em, etc. etc. I just wanted to keep that from happening. Sorry if I came off rude or anything in the title.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

All you said is correct, but I am gathering you have not been around very many women in your life that you closely (i mean closely dealt with) (you know the biblical term of "know"). I say this because if you had you would realize that everything you said would go in one ear and out the other.
My wife shoots better than me, she can and does handle everygun we have in the safe. She has cc purses, belt gear, shoulder holsters, clip on devices and pocket pistols/holsters etc. She can carry any number of the small to large frame 45s we have as well as 357, 38, 9mm, 40, 357sig, 32 mag, 380, 44mag,. We probably have at least one in every frame size (ultra compact to large frame), from every mfg. (SIG to Bersa to Glock) for everyone of the above calibers and more I did not mention, because I would not even carry them.

She still will not carry anything but a NAA 5 shot mini 22 mag revolver with a pocket clip grip (I must admit it is cute). I can poke and prod, show her the latest bad guy story etc. I can assure you that this will not change until she comes across a situation in which her cc weapon of choice did not live up to the expectations.

Good luck when you come across one like her brother!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom