Would you let your Wife CC a .22 pistol? (Educated opinions only please)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 28's are LEO only............weird thing is you never see them as trade-ins.

Now would i let my wife carry a .22 if i had a wife??? Its better than nothing and bigger is not always better, but if you can't hit what your aiming at then even a .44 would do you no good.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd let my wife CC anything she wanted to if I could get her to carry. I'd try to get her into a .38, but there is a positive about a .22. I'm more likely to survive a .22 round or six. And I'm probably her most likely target. If it was a .22, it would definately be a revolver though.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 28's are LEO only............weird thing is you never see them as trade-ins.

Now would i let my wife carry a .22 if i had a wife??? Its better than nothing and bigger is not always better, but if you can't hit what your aiming at then even a .44 would do you no good.

The 28s appear to be South American available only. Probably has to do with the .mil cartridge restrictions prevalent there.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that carrying a .22lr is better than nothing, but would probably advocate the use of a good mace or taser as the first option before the .22lr. I would argue that generally speaking the mace and/or taser would be more effective overall and have less of a chance for a malfunction. That is the one very down side of .22lr is that it's prone to malfunction and there's a lot of duds even in "good" .22lr ammunition.

I do question guys pushing their girlfriends or wives towards pocket pistols or snubbies, since these tend to recoil harder and are harder to shoot than a compact 9mm Glock. Smaller guns shooting smaller calibers does not mean it's less recoil or easier to shoot. I can shoot a .40 Glock all day, but shooting an airweight .38 special revolver is not only very harsh, but even harder to shoot accurately. Most girls I take out to the range usually bring their LCR's and LCP's and complain about the recoil and how hard it is to shoot it. Once I let them try a compact Glock or M&P in 9mm and the immediate reaction is how much better the gun feels and how the recoil is less harsh on their hands. Most even shoot better with it. Once you show them how to easily rack the slide and proper clearing drills and most are ready to ditch the revolver for the semi-auto.

In most cases, I'd start them on a .22lr and then move them up to a full sized semi auto in 9mm like a Glock or an M&P. I'd skip the .380 ACP and .38 snubbies because those guns typically have very harsh recoil and harder to shoot than a full sized semi auto in 9mm.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd let my wife CC anything she wanted to if I could get her to carry. I'd try to get her into a .38, but there is a positive about a .22. I'm more likely to survive a .22 round or six. And I'm probably her most likely target.

That's funny right there! I don't care who you are!

I too would "let" my wife carry a .22, if she would just carry.

I would try to get her to at least carry a .22 magnum.

There are some .22 Mag SD loads out there now that approach .380ACP performance.

shelshy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd let my wife carry a .22. In fact I bought her one for that reason. She likes the size of her little Taurus PT22, but loves shooting my GSG 1911-22 also.

dt405gt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife carries a .380 and I'm in the process of convincing her to upgrade to the 9mm. However, saying that, shot placement is the more important than caliber. I would rather take a 45 to the leg than a 22 to the head....

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most. 22 mags recoil more and are louder than a. 32 or 9mm. IMO. The. 380 s do recoil and are loud in the really small ones. Can be controllable, especially with a hogue hand all. A pt22 in the right hands, accurately shot, full mag dumps, would be devastating. Rule 1 have a gun. Rule 2 know how to shoot it well. The above advice is worth $0.02.

Latest posts

Top Bottom