would you rather...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry a knife or 22 with 50 rounds of ammunition of your choosing in the woods for 48 hours. You have water and fire making provisions but not food or shelter. what blade or firearm are you carrying and why? No cheating and carrying some form of 22 knife combo.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a person was practiced in using one, a kukri would be excellent. It is useful both as a powerful tool and as a weapon. There are stories about Nepalis killing tigers with them. Kukri,_karda_&_chakmak.jpg

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely the blade. You're not going to starve to death if you can't hunt up a squirrel or a rabbit in 2 days.

The knife can be used to craft shelter. The .22 can't.

The knife can be used for cutting wood down to burning size for a fire. The .22 can't.

As for what knife I'd carry, it depends. If I have to go with something I already own, I'm going with the Mora Knife. If it's "money is no object, you can have whatever you want", I'll take a kukri.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reality is that I never leave home without my Sig 9mm and a knife but for the sake of argument I'll go with the knife for the same reasons listed above. My KaBar USMC is always in my trunk in my B.O.B. I'll go with her.

If it was a longer situation i.e. a month+ I'd take the 22 because I could make a knife but couldn't make a gun. Probably something like a Ruger 22/45 or Buckmark.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only 48 hours give me a good sturdy knife. As others have said it can be used in building shelter, cutting wood for a fire. I need a good sturdy fixed blade and may pick up a KaBar eventually. I have a Mora but it doesn't seem like it would be up to hard use.

SingleStack45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knife...for all the reasons listed above.

My choice? I've got a few knives...all workhorses...but my preferred knife is my antique Camillus Mark II that my dad gave me when I was about 13... (basically the same as the famous Kabar Marine combat knife)

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fixed blade knife, can make shelter. 48 hours, not worried about food, honestly most of us could stand to miss a few meals. I'd plan on being hungry. Prefer small axe.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without a doubt, a large, heavy spines knife capable of being used as more than just a cutting instrument. Here is my choice.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom