wow.... just wow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
23 more months and I'm NEVER gonna be responsible for having to try and take care of people like that ever again ......... :screwy:

I'm on the short list as well.

I was driving a Semi in 70 when Houston was hit with about 1 1/2" of snow on Easter Sunday. It was surreal driving around the major roads with nobody around. Snow happened at night, so nobody got out.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The blame game has already started its ridiculous, blame the govt, blame the schools, blame blame blame! How about blaming your own dumbass for not taking some initiative, the govt and schools aren't the only ones who "knew this was coming"

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The blame game has already started its ridiculous, blame the govt, blame the schools, blame blame blame! How about blaming your own dumbass for not taking some initiative, the govt and schools aren't the only ones who "knew this was coming"

First thing that crossed my mind when I heard that idiot say that.
Dude did you ever think about pulling the crack pipe out of your mouth and be a dad?
They had just as much warning as anyone else in town.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes me sad that they can't see it from our point of view. They stand around & point fingers, instead of taking the initiative to take care of themselves. It is a very sad reality that our country is coming to this since the younger generations are the worst.
I understand that the road crews up north get more practice & have bigger budgets for this sort of thing, but on a smaller scale, aren't we all preparing for stuff that might/might not happen and we budget this stuff in to our own monthly bills? I think that is just a bunch of lame excuses.
Just like around here, people don't know how to drive in any kind of precip. Some dummies are going way too fast/not giving themselves enough stopping distance because they think that their vehicle can handle it, others are going so slow that it is a hazard for them to be on the road. It is inevitable that when those two kinds of people come in contact, you end up with massive wrecks that make it harder for everyone to get home safely.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...Blame, Blame, Blame...............it's always someone else's fault, or someone else should always be bailing them out. Get, up, Grow a set, and take care of your own ass and your families. I get so tired of hearing FEMA and Disaster and blah blah...it ain't a disaster, it's a damn winter storm..big deal....i don't care if it happened in palm springs. Just because road crews aren't set up to handle it should NOT put a city in chaos.

Store ya up some food....it DOES NOT take that much money to get through something like this. When it's FORCASTED, TAKE HEED AND MAKE A PLAN. Don't be caught in the middle of it.

I feel for the elderly that are alone and don't have resources. I feel for the kids of parents who are morons. Other than that, yur on your own.

In todays world, there is NO REASON not to be somewhat prepared for stuff like this.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were talking about this on the news this evening. Looks like most of the problems on the roads were caused by people who just left their cars in the middle of the road and walked off. Reminded me of a scene from walking dead.
yup
atlantawd.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is difficult for me to pass judgment on the folks who left work and tried to get home as I was a single parent with kids at one time, with no help from anyone. I would have moved heaven and earth to get home to my boys ... That said ... "we" are learning that population centers are NOT the place to be when something happens and you need to get somewhere else. Even the "back roads" quickly become impassable with a bazillon other folks who had the same thought you did ...

There was one night a long, long time ago, when I worked all night long. My oldest (who was 8 or 9 then) made sure his little brothers did their homework, had dinner and got in bed at a decent hour. (We didn't have a phone in the apartment back then.) Finally, at midnight, he walked to the payphone by the manager's office and called me at work. Said he didn't care if I worked late, just wanted to make sure I hadn't died ... because we were low on milk and could I bring some home when I came in the morning ... oh and was I gonna be home before it was time for them to wake up? If not, could he sleep in my room (i.e., in the "big bed") so he could hear the alarm clock go off? lol (He's his mother's son ... :D)

HOWEVER, I remember what the roads were like when we had all that bad weather back in May ... I remember some folks drowning because they got in a drainage ditch when a local weatherman told everyone to take cover ...

My point is ... people make bad choices. I've made more than a few of those myself ... But for the grace of God go I in a lot of cases ...

Some folks will learn from this, some will not. Unfortunately, the human species has shown a great propensity for being extremely short-sighted. I figured in another 3 years, when Atlanta has another snow/ice storm, this will replay all over again, like it is something new ...

Same thing here with tornadoes ... I've lived her my entire life without a tornado shelter. I'm old enough to be a lot of you guys' mother ... I have an appointment to have a shelter put in in March ... (hey! Better late than never, huh? :teehee:)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
**snip**Just like around here, people don't know how to drive in any kind of precip. Some dummies are going way too fast/not giving themselves enough stopping distance because they think that their vehicle can handle it, others are going so slow that it is a hazard for them to be on the road. **snip**

Prepping has done more for my peace of mind in this regard than anything else. It is absolutely the BEST feeling in the world to know that while everyone else is out trying to find stuff for dinner on bad roads with a bunch of other stressed out folks, that I can sit in my nice, warm house, drinking my hot chocolate and not have to worry about someone hitting me (or me hitting someone) and having to deal with the mess that is insurance companies nowadays ... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom