wow.... just wow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just dont know about people. I guess the will to live isnt in everyone's DNA.

I did ask my daughter what she'd do if she was caught in that situation. ...said she wouldnt worry, she would use the bag I put in her car. If that didnt work she would wait patiently until I got there.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point is ... people make bad choices. I've made more than a few of those myself ... But for the grace of God go I in a lot of cases ...

Some folks will learn from this, some will not.

Agreed 100%, I think that most Oklahomans have had to learn the hard way or by watching their neighbors learn the hard way. I don't look down on those folks but hope they take the lesson to heart. I never gave a flip until I had kids and one of the ice storms put us without electricity for ten days and I had my :idea: moment. Never again, I operate much better not having to give a flip.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew things were bad for them when I saw people sleeping in the aisles at a grocery store. Literally..I was shocked and amazed. Two inches of snow forced them from their homes, stranded them, and made them take shelter in a large, open public area (a lot like the Super Dome in New Orleans)....

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The blame game kills me. Blaming the state because they didn't have roads cleared or salt and sand at immediate disposal with the equipment ready to go. What most fail to realize is that no agency can prepare for every eventuality. You have to use the majority of funds and resources for events that happen in your area the most. I'm sure Florida has a pretty good handle on hurricane preparedness. Why? Cause it happens all the freakin' time there. Did NY have a handle on Hurricane Sandy? No, because it is so rare there. However, they probably can handle a snowstorm.

I see it all the time in the fire service. We use our budget and training on the calls we run daily. It would be crazy to spend all of your money on something that has only happened once in 20 years and neglect the events that happen all the time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were talking about this on the news this evening. Looks like most of the problems on the roads were caused by people who just left their cars in the middle of the road and walked off. Reminded me of a scene from walking dead.

I saw a story today where a neurosurgeon abandoned his car and walked 6 miles to perform surgery on a guy who would've died if he hadn't. I'm glad he abandoned his car!

As for the blame game, there's no one to blame for the weather! Id GA supposed to stockpile sand and salt and hundreds of millions of dollars in snow abatement equipment just for a 100 year snowstorm? I've been in the south during snow and it's true, they can't drive for sh*t on even a dusting. It's so rare they need those skills that they just don't have them. It's the south, it's not gonna last forever. Just hunker down, deplete the pantry and drink tap water if you have to. Jeez, is it really that difficult? :anyone:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2 inches caused all this chaos.....how can you not drive in 2 inches? Im convinced people are truely stupid.

Whats worse is the Governor even had to apologize. For what??? Knowbody needs a snowplow or salt for 2 inches.

Stupid, amazingly stupid.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It has taken a very small number of years for people to lose any sense of common judgement. When I was 5 years old, it snowed 21" in Atlanta (1973). People just had the sense to stay home. Stores and business actually (gasp) CLOSED for a couple of days. There was nothing like this idiocy. We went from just dealing with it like intelligent, thinking beings to THIS in 40 years? My GAWD!

I'll tell ya, though, 21" of snow at 5 years old is a bloody HOOT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom