Writers and Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else get irritated when they read a novel and the writer doesn't know their behind from a hole in the ground concerning guns? Stephen King is notorious for this, referring to the .30-.30 (he does this in The Stand, 'Salem's Lot and Under the Dome. He makes reference to the Glock model 7--and a special bonus point if you know where that is from!--in Under the Dome, and in The Stand, has a soldier shooting a portable recoilless rifle firing 70 rounds a second, with something called gas-tipped slugs, no less. That's quite a feat.

He has US Army units equipped with BAR's in the 1990's and after a revolver fires, it is dropped and discharges again. These were also from The Stand.

In 11-22-63, he has a sales clerk "spinning the barrels, click!-click!-click!" of a Colt revolver.

A bunch of just plain ignorant stuff like that.

Does anyone else have other examples of colossal ignorance, from King or anyone else?

I enjoy reading King's stories, (most of them anyway) but I do find his abysmal ignorance of guns appalling.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Like Steven King as well! Read an interview with him several years back and he was asked about this kind of issue and he said sometimes he will do it on purpose but generally speaking his stories are about people and the story, not the details!!!
Was all excited about the Dark Tower that just hit the movies until I seen the ads for it and it shows Roland throwing bullets in the air and slinging his revolver around to catch them in the chamber!!! Will wait for it to hit HBO!!

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in before someone bitches about SK being anti2a

The Dark tower is one reason I got into firearms (wheel guns especially)lol somhis Antigun message must not have been that strong.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Steven King as well! Read an interview with him several years back and he was asked about this kind of issue and he said sometimes he will do it on purpose but generally speaking his stories are about people and the story, not the details!!!
Was all excited about the Dark Tower that just hit the movies until I seen the ads for it and it shows Roland throwing bullets in the air and slinging his revolver around to catch them in the chamber!!! Will wait for it to hit HBO!!
That is dumb. You won't find any of that nonsense in Tom Clancy's stories. Or mine, for that matter.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever read Tom Clancy's "Net Force" series? There's a fair amount of tech nonsense in those. :D
Nope; just Red Storm Rising, most of the Jack Ryan series up to The Bear and the Dragon, and one of the OpCenter books. In those, he was pretty good in the technical sense. In mine, The Pale Horse, there is a lot of gun action and while I probably did not get everything right, I did most of it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Bruce Willis referenced a Glock 7 in Die hard once and it cost more than a police man makes in a month lol!! Said it was a porcelain gun made in Germany.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope; just Red Storm Rising, most of the Jack Ryan series up to The Bear and the Dragon, and one of the OpCenter books. In those, he was pretty good in the technical sense. In mine, The Pale Horse, there is a lot of gun action and while I probably did not get everything right, I did most of it.
I liked his Jack Ryan stuff best, which started with Clark IIRC. Actually thought Net Force was better than OP Center (more interesting anyway), it was just kind of "far out there" with computer stuff.

What name do you write under, if I may ask?

Latest posts

Top Bottom