WSSM AR Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the range with a guy that had the Dtech .25 WSSM.
He seemed to like everything about it and had no complaints. He said the barrel life would be under 800 rounds but for a hunting gun that would last him years.

booger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hashing this same thing out for about a month now going between the 6.8 to the 6.5 to the 243 or 25 wssm. from what i have read they all seem really equal as a hunting caliber.So no real gain over one then the other I just think the wssm cartridges will give a better factory ammo selection.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back in from checking the traps, and a little bird hunting......the bird hunting sux right now.
Back to the topic. I ordered my AR-15 in .243WSSM a couple of years ago from Accuracy Systems. I saw the link had already been posted.
Carl will make any thing your heart desires, but he is on the upper end of pricing.
I ordered the 22" barrel that is .936" diameter x 22" broached air gauged premium stainless steel 416 barrel, fluted free float tube, Match trigger with 2.5lb pull, target crown, threaded barrel,1 in 8 twist for the 100 grain bullets, and had the "quiet brake" installed. There was no dust cover as he said it effected the ejection of the short fat round.

Carl suggested the armalight two piece scope mount, as it moves the scope forward for access to the charging handle. I like it. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 6X24X50 with adjustable parallax.
It kind of beats up the round when its ejected around the rim, but should be re loadable for 3 or 4 times. Maybe more.

Took 18 weeks to get the rifle, as he is back-ordered.(pre Obama) At the time It was done, they had tremendous floods in the Denver area, causing the road to their shooting range to be washed out with another 3-4 weeks waiting for the road to be rebuilt so he could test fire it. We talked ,and I said send it, and when it got here, I took it to the range and had accuracy problems. Big accuracy problems. Talked to Carl, and shipped it back. For some unknown reason, the .243WSSM round did not like the brake, so he took it off, and built a thread cap that looks really nice. So if I want to put a can on it, I can as the threaded barrel is intact. Mine was one of the first he had done in the super short mags, and he guaranteed 3/4 MOA @ 100 yds using factory ammo. He took it to his range that had the road repaired by this time and sent the target to me. It more than qualifies the 3/4MOA. With me reloading I have tweaked it into less than that. Have bought some 85 grain HPBT, and some 100 grain PSP bullets to try some new loads. The gun with that twist doesn't do the 55 grain loads very good, so I only use the ones I have on hand at close ranges.
When the round first came out, and before it hit the market, there were lots of internet experts that predicted these Super Short Rounds would erode a barrel in short order, but testing has proved this to not be correct.
http://wssmzone.com/main/default.aspx?c=wssm243&n=cartridges

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010055.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010054.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010053.jpg

I'm having major trouble with my internet provider tonight, and can't access all the pics I have of the rifle, but here are three.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hashing this same thing out for about a month now going between the 6.8 to the 6.5 to the 243 or 25 wssm. from what i have read they all seem really equal as a hunting caliber.So no real gain over one then the other I just think the wssm cartridges will give a better factory ammo selection.

The WSSM have huge gains(about 800 fps) over the 6.8 and 6.5. My mom shoots a Browning A-bolt in .243 WSSM. At 400 yds it will dent a 1/2" steel plate and bulge the back side. .308 won't and 30-06 with 180 gr. bullet makes less of a dent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom