wssm in semi auto black weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bro talkin bout deer gun, and i naturally pointed him to ARs etc (doesnt like aks). he was hung up on 243, and its good enough for white tail etc. tellin him that springfiled used to do m1as in 243, then i happend acroos them wssm. dtech uppers makes one for $1k giant redisgned bolt( and barrel ext i presume). dont understand why they dont do a 6.5 wssm though. us keyboard commandos love that design for bc and all those other stats...

so, thoughts on wssm etc? ammo cost wont be huge factor cause he doesnt shoot much

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My initial thoughts are more around why not just use a .22 caliber AR for deer hunting? It's legal in oklahoma, and then you can also have a fun range gun as well. Myself and many others here have taken deer with an AR without a problem. I am a big proponent of the Barnes bullets and they perform equally as well in this application.

In the end, it's his decision to make, but for a $1000 dollar upper, I could buy a bolt action Savage and decent quality scope and still have some money left over for ammo!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a 6.5 Grendel, has all the b.c. any long range nut can want, crazy accurate and an amazing whitetail and bigger caliber.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .243 WSSM. Shoots the 100 grain bullets under an inch at 100 yds after tuning the load. Bought it when they first came out, and the round was popular, with ammo on the shelves, and bags of brass to reload everywhere.
I've taken several deer with it.
Like ASP785, I've also taken deer with a .55 grain .223.
Both killem' dead.
I am more comfortable with long range shots using the .243WSSM though.

If he doesn't shoot much, Winchester makes premium ammo, and regular ammo for the WSSM's. I reload all of mine.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya i guess he is leanin towards generic walmart style combo gun. i tried to talk him into a savage hog hunter, so at least he has threaded barrel, but no go.

im digin the grendel but waitin on hte wolf steel ammo. or whatever it was supposed to be...

so the wssm arent taking off like they wanted them too?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so the wssm arent taking off like they wanted them too?

They didn't take off for a couple of reasons.

Prior to coming on the market, the big buzz around the gun world/forums/writers was the barrels would be shot out in short order by this super fast new round.
It was introduced at a bad time when guns and ammo was in short supply.

In reality, the wssm's are only about 100-150fps faster than a standard load, and subsequent testing showed the barrels were not getting shot out.
The beauty is that they can be shot in a short action AR platform.

Latest posts

Top Bottom