ww11 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodin43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this query. I live in France - just off Utah Beach. I quite often find ammo when digging in my garden. Today I found a cartridge case with the numbers p334 40 V1111 on the bottom. Can anyone tell me more about where this might have come from please?
Thanks
Kevin.

WILLARD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this query. I live in France - just off Utah Beach. I quite often find ammo when digging in my garden. Today I found a cartridge case with the numbers p334 40 V1111 on the bottom. Can anyone tell me more about where this might have come from please?
Thanks
Kevin.
Sorry I have to ask. How did you find us? By the way welcome and please keep coming back.

woodin43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Willard, I found the site via google.
CJJ - thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what type of weapon would fire this ammo? I have found quite a few spent cartridges in the same area. I know that our house had two German officers billetted here during the war and I have found various bits of their kit. I recently found what looks to be a magazine for a pistol - its very rusty, but it seems to have about 10 - 12 live bullets still in situ. It certainly makes gardening interesting!

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure envy you; I love to learn about WWII history, and I've studied much of it from the German perspective - you've got a gold mine in your yard!

Not sure on what caliber, etc., but I can look around and see if I can turn anything up. Does it look like a rifle case? If so, it may be from a k98 (Mauser). The Germans used a few different calibers in their weapons throughout the war, so it's hard to tell on those or the ones in the magazine you found. Cool finds!

Oh - and if you can post pictures of your finds.....please do!

woodin43

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi CJJ, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. They all look like rifle cases. I have attached photos - the one with three cases have 75 43 on the bottom. The single is the latest one I found - sorry its a bit blurred. The magazine is about 6 - 8 inches long.
not sure if they will come out ok, have never attached anything on here yet.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Photos didn't work. You can attach them by clicking on the little "picture" icon above (looks like a yellow picture with mountains and sun) below the "undo" arrow.

Your other number with 75 and 43 may be U.S./Allied? 43 sounds like manufacture date code. Most NATO ammo still uses the last two digits for the date on the headstamp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom