WWI bringback M1917 S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last month I happened to run across a well worn M1917 just a few minutes after it was listed on SSP's website. My brother collects hand-ejectors so I gave him a heads up and he stopped by the south store and placed the gun a layaway that same day. Bore condition was on the poor side and the lanyard was missing, but the gun was excellent mechanically. The major selling point was the early concentric grooved hammer which was worth more than half the purchase price by itself. Upon the initial disassembly and inspection, my brother found that there were inscriptions on the inside of the stocks. After a little research, we've been able to locate the author of the inscription and it appears that he was drafted in June of 1918 and lived in Norman, OK until his death in 1979. So far no luck positively ID'ing the vet that the gun was attributed to (Joe Ada).

0PUu9KVh.jpg

t55Pdmah.jpg

GR3vvf9h.jpg

2ZgowKwh.jpg

2vxMWpoh.jpg

M1917 along with a Canadian contract transitional second model (triple lock internals) HE chambered in .45 S&W (w/ shooter magna grips installed).

91oSQ1Vh.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. The bore ended cleaning up well and even though there is some pitting and fairly worn rifling, it will print with all rounds touching from a rest with a .454 cast bullet. I believe that the target below was shot off-hand, double action, at 15 yards with a slightly smaller projectile while he was working up loads.

yaqnoSph.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good grouping. Particularly with your badass offhand skill.

Unfortunately that's my brother's marksmanship...not mine. He probably puts at least 200-300 rounds through DA revolvers weekly and it shows. I haven't shot any HE other than 20-30 rounds through his Canadian second model and I honestly cannot get comfortable with N frames that have magnas or slabside grips installed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom