Wyoming construction company: Buy a new roof, get a free AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need not worry about straw purchase,
It is a gift. Perfectly legal as long as the person getting the gun is legally ablw to own one.

Not really any different that winning a gun thru a raffle.

As a raffle winner of a S&W "Patrol Rifle" from a local Chamber of Commerce several years ago, I know they thought the winner was going to have to do a 4473 and were surprised to find out that since the Chamber had already purchased the rifle then it became a gift through the raffle. I showed them my CCW card to let them know I was legally able to own a firearm then told them they ought to just go with a gift certificate at the local sporting goods store in the future.

As to rifles and roofing, I had to replace my roof last year due to the April hail storm. There has got to be at least 2 rifles up there somewhere...:Heya:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, I've never totally understood how that is cool either. I may be a bit of a literalist here but the question has never framed itself as "unless this is a gift or giveaway".

Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.) Exception: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

I mean, it seems pretty clear that when someone with this company goes and buys the guns, they are not intending in any way to keep them. They're not the first business to do this though, so I assume someone has decided it's worth it, but I personally wouldn't want to gamble, especially in the modern climate.

How the Wyoming co. is actually handling their promotion I can't say but, ...

My 2 cents

This is not a straw purchase. A gift / promotion lacks "on behalf of another person". Since the purchase is not originating from an individual whom is circumventing paperwork and law by getting another to procure for them.

When I had my FFL the ATF would send me their newsletter (it was put together randomly to help address current topics that may need to be cleared up for license holders). Inside they would discuss all sorts of topics like this and clearly explain. It was great because it was a printed interpretation "from the horses mouth" that I could use to backup they way I did my business. They addressed straw purchases in at lest one issue. I highly recommend looking them up under the ATF.gov publication library. Lots of good info

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve won 4 guns at Ducks Unlimited Banquets in the last 2 years.
Guns are purchased by DU, engraved and then transferred through an FFL to the winner of the drawings.
Just the way Uncle joe wants it done.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest, I've never totally understood how that is cool either. I may be a bit of a literalist here but the question has never framed itself as "unless this is a gift or giveaway".

Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.) Exception: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.

I mean, it seems pretty clear that when someone with this company goes and buys the guns, they are not intending in any way to keep them. They're not the first business to do this though, so I assume someone has decided it's worth it, but I personally wouldn't want to gamble, especially in the modern climate.
This might be why some members are hesitant to swap 17d lowers with certain serial numbers around.
:violin:

Latest posts

Top Bottom