X-mas shopping for the wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semperfly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some input. I'd like to get my wife more involved in trap and skeet. She has considerable experience with competition small bore rifle and air pistol but I'd like to diversify. Eventually I'm sure she'll be ready to use a nice 12 ga. 870 or 1100 trap but what's a good platform to start with for a 24 year old female, 5'3", and are there any decent deals to be had?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to use one gun for both trap and skeet, You'll probably have to go with a semi auto like the Rem 1100. The pump guns are slower, and make the crossing shot pretty difficult. I know some do it, but we're talking about just starting out.
You would need to buy one with screw in chokes, as skeet is pretty much imp cyl or cylinder bore, and trap uses a modified or full most of the time.
another option would be to get an O/U with chokes.
If you want to get real serious, a shotgun with adjustable stocks is the ticket.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well - from the looks of your location, your best bet is online or mail-order to get a good O/U.

I'd look at the CDNN catalogs, they have some budget O/U shottys by Remington and CZ that are under $500. Stoeger's Condor is a good one as well.

I'd say to stop by Sports World and hit up their used selection if you were in this area, but I have no idea as to what's over on your side of the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom